Author Topic: Hello from Surrey - Aspiring owner  (Read 1533 times)

Offline woody928

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Hello from Surrey - Aspiring owner
« on: March 30, 2020, 03:59:00 PM »
Hi,

Thought I'd check in and say hello seeing as this looks to be the font of 70's CB info in the UK.

I've traditionally been a car guy but finally made the leap last year and got my full bike license so I am now messing around with two and four wheels. Safe to  say I've not looked  back ;-) I like anything classic or vintage but seem to have a preference for Jap metal, they really seem to know how to make them.

I currently don't have a bike but run a Datsun 1970 240Z and I'm now looking for a CB550 to join it for some contrast. Long term I'm a fan of the Brat/Cafe builds. These bikes seem like a great base and the perfect balance or handling/performance for our roads.

I'm currently back for travelling due to the pandemic so I'm looking to get a bike to dial into over the summer and work out a plan of action before leaving the country again I hope.

I've been shopping around but I was hoping to get some advice on current market values. Is anyone able to advise a rough bracket/ballpark of what kind of prices are for  CB550's? (I'm talking about respectable running bikes rather than projects).

Any kind of insight as to what could sound like a deal or ripoff would be much appreciated. Coming from a car background everything seems a lot more reasonable price wise but I'm clueless as to what is reasonable or not (I appreciate that something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay but just trying to set some kind of expectation). I had been looking at the later production bikes such as a 1978 F1. 

I'm sure I'll be checking in and asking lots of questions in the long run.

Cheers,

Mark 

Here's my current pride and joy for anyone interested:
DSCF9175 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

Also a quick pic of me from my epic 6000km ride across Vietnam on a Honda Win  earlier this year
GOPR1842 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Surrey - Aspiring owner
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 04:09:33 PM »
Welcome matey. Nice motor, they were spoilt after that. Tell us more of your mega ride in Vietnam???

Plenty on here more able than I to advise on any SOHC purchase.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 04:30:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Just in time for lock down. ;)

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 04:56:51 PM »
Nice car matey.   Welcome.
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 05:04:05 PM »
There is no real "average" price on a 550 as condition varies so much.
If you are determined to have a UK one you are limited to the F1/2or the K3, the K3 having PD carbs which imho are the most horrible things ever fitted by Honda(but they had to fo US emissions) and dont work well if you try and run anything other than stock setup, which is not for the style of bike mentioned.

You could try DK on ebay as the import from America and you can pick the sort of "condition" you want to start from.

Way more 500's in UK and stay away from 650 as they never sold well

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 05:06:53 PM »
Welcome.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 05:26:53 PM »
Sorry too busy waffling to say welcome!!

Offline woody928

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 06:21:17 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome  ;D

Welcome matey. Nice motor, they were spoilt after that. Tell us more of your mega ride in Vietnam???

Thank you :) Honestly it was the trip of a lifetime 8) I spent 90 days riding the entire length of the country, visiting loads of stunning remote areas and really got to know the local people. The bike was utterly awful, a 127cc Chinese copy bike that could barely reach 90kmph but it took me the whole distance. I actually have a travel blog with lots of different stories from the whole adventure. If you're at all interested then this is a nice snap shot with some pictures to give you an idea:

https://woodysjourney.com/the-most-northerly-point/

The next big adventure will to be ride across India on a Royal Enfield at some point when the world reopens. I was meant to be travelling for a couple of  years and in India to start that adventure mid April but these things happen. I'm just anxious to be back on a bike and  scratching that itch again and I'd love one of these in the garage in the long term!

Welcome to the forum. Just in time for lock down. ;)

Sadly, the lockdown is the only reason I'm back  :( Life goes on though!

There is no real "average" price on a 550 as condition varies so much.
If you are determined to have a UK one you are limited to the F1/2or the K3, the K3 having PD carbs which imho are the most horrible things ever fitted by Honda(but they had to fo US emissions) and dont work well if you try and run anything other than stock setup, which is not for the style of bike mentioned.

You could try DK on ebay as the import from America and you can pick the sort of "condition" you want to start from.

Way more 500's in UK and stay away from 650 as they never sold well

Thanks for your honesty, I know this is a how long is a piece of string type question but was just looking for some general guidance. Is there a big difference between the the CB500 and CB550? 

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 08:18:07 PM »
Hi Mark, Welcome to the madhouse. First time I saw a Datsun 240Z was in a Manchester (Salford) Main Datsun Dealers (in a small showroom under the Railway Arches) on my way to work on nights about 1970......a Red one. Beautiful just beautiful. I must have stood and gawped at it for a good 10 minutes....then had to run the rest of the way to the Factory I worked in as it made me late !

Plenty of Honda 550's/500's around.....just beware of where you buy one from - far better to buy from - or take advice from an sohc Forum Member......they know their bikes and you'll get a fair bike for the price......or they can tell you which Dealers have got what and most importantly - who to steer clear of - and there are a few of those unfortunately !

Welcome to the Forum and I wish you the best of luck with finding a bike......and your future journeys. Just ALWAYS remember - 'You meet the nicest people on a Honda' !
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 01:13:02 PM »
Welcome from me too Mark, enjoyed to blog and good to see the Vietnamese version of the Stelvio in action..... 8)

Liked the 240Z too - good luck with the hunt for a 550.

Cheers, Andrew
1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline woody928

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 04:56:08 PM »
Hi Mark, Welcome to the madhouse. First time I saw a Datsun 240Z was in a Manchester (Salford) Main Datsun Dealers (in a small showroom under the Railway Arches) on my way to work on nights about 1970......a Red one. Beautiful just beautiful. I must have stood and gawped at it for a good 10 minutes....then had to run the rest of the way to the Factory I worked in as it made me late !

Plenty of Honda 550's/500's around.....just beware of where you buy one from - far better to buy from - or take advice from an sohc Forum Member......they know their bikes and you'll get a fair bike for the price......or they can tell you which Dealers have got what and most importantly - who to steer clear of - and there are a few of those unfortunately !

Welcome to the Forum and I wish you the best of luck with finding a bike......and your future journeys. Just ALWAYS remember - 'You meet the nicest people on a Honda' !

Thank you :) Hahaha that's a fantastic story, its certainly a car that makes me stop and look back every time I walk away!

Getting a cherished bike from a member would be ideal but it all depends on my luck. I'm all too used to buying something unloved and then spending far too much time and money on it sadly.

I certainly have a lot more adventures to come, I'll keep that in mind   :D

Welcome from me too Mark, enjoyed to blog and good to see the Vietnamese version of the Stelvio in action..... 8)

Liked the 240Z too - good luck with the hunt for a 550.

Cheers, Andrew

Thanks for the warm welcome Andrew, having done both I can confirm that the roads themselves are both awful! They both reward you with stunning views though!   8)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 06:45:10 PM »
Welcome --- lovely car .. only experience I have of a 240Z is a rough imported one at Mathewsons (as featured on Bangers and Cash that's on tonight BTW at 8pm on Dave). I was peering under the bonnet and got up quickly and hit my head on the prongs of Mathewsons fork lift .. Ouch!

Why not consider the very early CB500K0 that JamesH was offering on here if he still has it? Lovely example at a really decent price for what it is.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 06:46:18 PM »
Bloody hell what  coincidence whilst I ws typing James was replying too.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 07:28:54 PM »
 That one from James is way to original and early to modify later. There are not a lot i would say that about but early sguare case 500 is one

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 07:48:48 PM »
That one from James is way to original and early to modify later. There are not a lot i would say that about but early sguare case 500 is one

Haha ..but he could sell that gorgeous seat for about £500 though Bryan... didn't appreciate it was to be modified, in which case I agree with you mate.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal