Author Topic: Thinking caps on everyone how can I make a DIY paint curing oven during lockdown  (Read 3109 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Morning Ash. How soon are you going to be using the cases. If it's not for months the paint will cure itself fully. The oven bake just speeds up the process. Got that from Simonize.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
That's what I thought Roy, until I drained my float bowls and spilt a bit of petrol onto the top of the cases. Damaged the paint straight away!
Paint was unbaked, about 12 months from painting and engine had done about 500 miles.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Well what a bunch of little liars at Simonize. On their say so I haven't baked the black bomber cases. Just have to hope the engine heat does the job. I specifically asked them the question as the cases would be stood for months before use. Bugger.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Well what a bunch of little liars at Simonize. On their say so I haven't baked the black bomber cases. Just have to hope the engine heat does the job. I specifically asked them the question as the cases would be stood for months before use. Bugger.

It tells you how to cure and to cure on the can  ;)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Well yes your right. Thought their technical department would be able to give accurate information though. Appears not.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Send your partner out to do some gardening and stick them in the oven.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Brand new oven so not allowed any more. Still, it says on the tin that it will cure from the heat of the engine. Technical at Simonize says it will age cure over a couple of months so should be okay. No worries.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Which Simoniz paint Roy? Mine is from the States and has ceramic in it. There is no mention on the can instructions about baking it but I just went with what the guys on USA SOHC forum recommended  (and others on here) to give the paint better fuel spill protection and baked it on.

I haven't checked your Bomber rebuild but the crankcases on the 450 (like CB250/350K also) were only painted on the top half. Lower half was bare alloy. I guess it was the same with the K1 etc and CL's but not sure. (JamesH and MrDavo will know)
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
This is the stuff Ash doesn't mention ceramic. Says it cures on the engine heat or in an oven. As I don't have use of an oven I e-mailed tech at Simonize to ask and they said it will cure to full strength in about 2 to 3 months depending on storage. So I went that route as they were going to sit for ages. Since building the engine I have cleaned the hand marks off the paintwork with no problems at all. Your right the lower case is unpainted. Whatever it will cure when the engine runs hot.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
On my 550 Mongrel, we used the top end as a trial (on behalf of a customer) using that paint from the states  but used our normal Simoniz VHT enamel for the barrels. 2 years on, you can clearly see the difference. The Simoniz VHT engine enamel is as good as and the same colour as the day Trig painted it, the top end has gone a greeny, bronzy colour.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Bet that looks good on the Mongrel, throw your paint away Ash. You've been ragging it that hard Julie you've got the barrels up to tempering range. ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 03:51:49 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Bet that looks good on the Mongrel, throw your paint away Ash.
Yea, it looks OK being two tone on Millie Roy but I would be bloody pissed off if it were on a stock bike. I'm pleased we used my bike to trial it on for the customer and not one of our 'proper' bikes.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
This picture shows the difference better
Simoniz VHT on the left and the American paint on the right.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
No I am not throwing my paint away Roy and deffo using it on my crankcases as it's the closest I have found to Honda Silver after curing (after the sad demise of the 5-Wheels Silver I used in the late 80's and also Hammerite Smooth before the Euro cretins forced its change in formulation).

Ask RGP750 what he used on his prize winning CB750K0 ?

I deliberately didn't initially mention the paint I am using as I knew  it would cause controversy  ;D but there ya go .. Horses for courses I guess.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal