Author Topic: Thinking caps on everyone how can I make a DIY paint curing oven during lockdown  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Bet that looks good on the Mongrel, throw your paint away Ash.
Yea, it looks OK being two tone on Millie Roy but I would be bloody pissed off if it were on a stock bike. I'm pleased we used my bike to trial it on for the customer and not one of our 'proper' bikes.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
This picture shows the difference better
Simoniz VHT on the left and the American paint on the right.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
No I am not throwing my paint away Roy and deffo using it on my crankcases as it's the closest I have found to Honda Silver after curing (after the sad demise of the 5-Wheels Silver I used in the late 80's and also Hammerite Smooth before the Euro cretins forced its change in formulation).

Ask RGP750 what he used on his prize winning CB750K0 ?

I deliberately didn't initially mention the paint I am using as I knew  it would cause controversy  ;D but there ya go .. Horses for courses I guess.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Not telling you what to do at all Ash. Just light hearted comment, your bike to do with as you wish. I'm sure you have checked it out as your usually pretty thorough.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Not telling you what to do at all Ash. Just light hearted comment, your bike to do with as you wish. I'm sure you have checked it out as your usually pretty thorough.

Threw a curved ball in there deliberately Roy as I didn't state the actual brand or colour shade I am using plus I am doing the barrels and head etc in a completely different paint from Germany that a guy on the Sandacast forum used and has run his engine in anger for several years (bl**dy expensive paint though).
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile

I know it's no use to the purists but that bronze colour looks fantastic, ideal on a special. What make did you use Julie, just so the rest of us can avoid it.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile

I know it's no use to the purists but that bronze colour looks fantastic, ideal on a special. What make did you use Julie, just so the rest of us can avoid it.
It's Dupli-colour Engine Enamel with Ceramic Resins Roy.
I like the colour too, on a Mongrel but if I were to tell the truth I would prefer that all my engine was all the same colour but it was a good bike to trial it on.
The Simoniz has a maximum heat range protection up to 800°c where the Dupli-colour only protects up to 288°c. But, its really designed for car engines, not air cooled motorcycles with cooling fins. We found that the fins actually get that hot on the bikes that the Dupli-colour chips off where the Simoniz VHT just stays on perfectly.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Well back to the main subject of this thread. If anyone wants to discuss the actual engine paints I am using  just PM me and I will tell you my thoughts and why I chose what I did .....  but remember I am just a DIY amateur, in lock-down,  using the best he can do to get on with some projects but  at the same time,  drawing on the experiences from other forums (particularly the CB750 Sandcastonly forum).

This mornings bake off challenge was my Oct 1969 CB750 crankcases ... the 'oven' was a tad too small but six bricks and 5 minutes later we are up and running again. So it's a truly 'modular' oven. Next up are my '67 Bomber  cases (well the top one as the bottom half was never painted)

I was hoping that with this thread, rather than drifting off into a paint preference  discussion, I would be have been challenged. "What about health and safety though Ash".

I must admit I work with electrics / electronics all of the time and my missus is always telling me I am too complacent .. and she is right to a large extent.

So please, please....  if you make one of these ovens, or similar with your own modifications.... be really careful. Here are a few tips but I would really appreciate others chipping in with do's and don'ts regarding safety.

1) Use a mains supply protected by an RCD earth leakage protection device. If your house electrics consumer unit doesn't have this feature .... then buy a plug in one from the likes of Screwfix... always best to own one anyway if you are using 240v mains power tools outside and they are fairly cheap nowadays.
2) Use an extension lead that is capable of carrying the full 13A of a domestic mains outlet and .. very important FULLY extend  the cable otherwise if left coiled it will overheat on the reel ! A lot of cheapo extensions are only 10A maximum current rated, which is borderline for a 2.5kW load.
3) Fit the thermostat (and indicator if you choose to use one) in a suitable enclosure and if it's metal then connect the earth wire of the plug to it.
4) Connect an earth wire to any exposed metal.
5) Make sure the  cooker element exposed terminals are covered with some heat resisting sleeving  (usually glass woven or silicone ) If you can't find any PM me.
6) Make sure you stand the heating  element well off the floor so that the connections are above the floor by at least 1".
7) Always use in dry weather or better still assemble everything in a garage (not an option for me as my garage is linked to my house and the fumes always find their way into the house).
8 ) Connect the element to outside of the oven with heat resisting cable (usually glass woven or silicone insulated) capable of carrying 13 A .. loads of places on eBay sell it cheap.. just Google 'oven cable'or 'heat resisting' cable. If in doubt PM me.
9) When inspecting the paintwork .. switch the mains off first at the mains outlet. Same when you are finished baking before taking the parts out.
10)  Use the oven when kids and pets are not around (e.g.  get up like a true baker at the crack of dawn).
11) If you have the storage  space and remote location from the house,  just buy an old kitchen oven secondhand for next to nothing and use that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:33:18 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Chipping in:

Item 2 - it is really important to fully extend any cable that is under significant load. If you leave it coiled on the drum it will overheat and ultimately melt.

Trust me on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile

OMG don't tell me Graham actually used allen bolts on a Honda engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sacrilege  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yes Ken, I had to force him in to submission to fit non standard bits to this bike, my 550 Mongrel. I was on a budget but he wasn't happy using non standard fixings and I haven't heard the last of it 😁😁😁😁.

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile

Julie, did you polish the tappet covers or get them chromed?
They are just the standard alloy tappet caps Ken that Graham polished.

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile

Julie, did you polish the tappet covers or get them chromed?
They are just the standard alloy tappet caps Ken that Graham polished.

Ta Julie, I had my old ones chromed but they won't do alloy these days generally. I might just buy some new ones and polish the hell out of them then  ;D ;D
Mention it to Graham Ken, I'm sure he has a box here with at least 100 original tappet caps in.... Maybe more 🤔🤔🤔

Offline cantarauk

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Thanks for this post Ash. I am almost these in attempting my outdoor DIY oven to bake some cases. Just need plastic box to protect thermostat and then fibre shielding.

Will test on oil pan first and see how I get on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal