Author Topic: Drilled disc?  (Read 727 times)

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Drilled disc?
« on: July 18, 2020, 06:00:48 PM »
I’ve just swapped out my drilled disc, wasn’t really that hot on it, but mainly I thought it was clanging the pads. Turns out it’s the brand new caliper! Was about 2mm longer than the OEM one and it was hitting the rivets on the disc!!
I road the bike with it on, it was not warped and is about 7mm+ thick, can’t measure just yet as my caliper have a flat battery. The clanking was only noticed when I span the wheel after fitting the new caliper. I’ve ground off the excess and now it’s A1.
Are these drilled discs any good? Should I keep as a spare if/when the used solid one wears down?
Could have saved myself a few quid but honestly I checked everything before I bought another disc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline robvangulik

• SOHC Member
  • Honda Fourever
    • View Profile
Re: Drilled disc?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 06:28:48 PM »
So now you have almost all the hardware needed to put a second disc brake on your bike? ;)

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 07:00:12 PM »

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 07:00:23 PM »

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 10:12:14 PM »
Back in the day I had the stainless disc drilled on my 400/4 and amazing I finally could stop in the wet! The iron discs used on UK bikes may have gone rusty but at least they worked.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 08:40:06 AM »
Sorry but who wants a brake that locks up in the English rain, been there, done that cost me new bottom yoke, handlebars and headlamp with brackets

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 08:48:02 AM »
Never happened to me in over 30K miles I owned it. Perhaps whoever did the work didn't do it right?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 08:49:43 AM by bobv7 »

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 09:27:34 AM »
On the subject of drilled discs, I've had this lurking in my shed since I first got my 550.  I've never had it fitted on my bike, so I can't comment on its effectiveness or otherwise, but it seems straight enough and its about 7mm thick on average.   If anyone wants it, how does a tenner plus carriage sound?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal