Author Topic: Whats the crappest bike you've ever owned and why?  (Read 5559 times)

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the crappest bike you've ever owned and why?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2020, 09:14:55 AM »
That water pump leak was rarely the seal but usualy the copper waser under the domed nut holding impeller on, people just saw a washer and never changed it but it deformed into the splines inside the impeller to seal water so leaked if reused.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2020, 09:44:46 AM »
My 1964 BSA A65R was great for teaching me about maintaining bikes I was always having to fix things, I can remember going down dark country lanes and the lights failed, the electrics were not the greatest. Then I had a melted piston which entailed a rebore, but I really loved that bike, I bought it when I was 16 and it is still sitting in the garage waiting for me to get my finger out and bring it back to life.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2020, 10:00:37 AM »
That water pump leak was rarely the seal but usualy the copper waser under the domed nut holding impeller on, people just saw a washer and never changed it but it deformed into the splines inside the impeller to seal water so leaked if reused.

We used to find that the owner had caused the leak and even worse. They would remove the impeller and notice that the spacer on the end of the shaft was missing, order another spacer and put it on the end of the shaft. The spacer was always there, it was stuck in the back of the impeller.
They would replace the impeller and NOT put a new copper washer but, now the ceramic disc in the back of the impeller would not be touching the mechanical seal, water would come out of the water pump safety drain hole, which they would plug up with chewing gun and the water was forced into the engine and bang goes the crank  ;)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2020, 10:17:28 AM »
BMW K75.   Nice and comfortable bike to ride, heated grips, effective fairing kept me dry, but....

Due to a bad German design,  the rear spines were shagged, not a lot of wear left, it smoked like a 2 stroke, especially after going on the side stand.  Putting it on the centre stand didn't do my dodgy back any good.   The centre stand wasn't too stable either.  In a pub car park it rolled forward and clobbered my mate's 400four and I had to buy him another rear lens.
The rear shock was shagged, didn't damp at all.  Just bounced it's way down the road.
The rubber pipes going to the petrol pump and injectors were all perished and needed replacing.
The starboard side panel used to fall off, secured with a discreet tie wrap.
And the tank was the wrong colour.
Apart from all that,  it was a nice bike.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2020, 11:11:28 AM »
Starboard? Obviously another non landlubber!

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2020, 12:50:34 PM »
Reading these posts made me chuckle......I must have had a charmed life cos none of the many bikes I have owned have left me with scars like those mentioned........but ALL my Hondas have been brilliant, especially the 1979 CX500 I bought as an everyday work hack (with massive Krauser panniers and Top Box for all my TA kit) which NEVER let me down in two years with minimal maintenance - as nothing ever went wrong with it......not even a blown bulb !

The beautiful looking pimento red Triumph Stag was another story though ! If I was ever to strangle a vehicle and bury it in the woods or set it ablaze, that would have been the one !

What never fails to amuse me though is reading the Test Reports on a £20K or £25K new bike....'Innovative, refreshing, interesting concept' all describing characteristics which two or three years later, the same Journos and the same Magazines will describe as 'trying, expensive to repair, difficult to access, not to be purchased by inexperienced riders, only to be taken on if you have a wallet full of £50 notes - and a large wallet at that' etc etc.

These 'experts' always fail to ask the simplest questions of the manufacturers like 'How can you expect potential buyers to buy this bike when 16" tyres in this speed rating are not yet commercially available or affordable' ? or 'How can you justify the fact that at the 10,000 mile service, it will take a Dealer 8 hours to replace the OHC belt because the engine needs to be removed to undo one bolt which is inaccessible with the engine in place, at a cost of nearly a thousand pounds in labour charges' ? or lastly, 'Why have you opted for using an Air Filter Box which needs three pairs of hands to reinstall it after removal - just to adjust the tick over' ? I did manage to get some 'free' parts from Kawasaki when I complained that the front indicator on my new ZXR1200S which needed replacing due to knocking it against a car park bollard also necessitated a new half fairing, new decals, and a complete respray all because some dopey Designer had chosen to mount the indicator on the fairing rather than a stalk ! But that's another story.

To answer some of the dark and dismal tales of this thread, if only the Journos were to 'tell it like it is' and hold the Manufacturers to account, maybe we would get better products ! LOL.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2020, 12:57:45 PM »
You raise some very good points there mate.  My Tuono (modern) V4 has a major service every 12,000 miles which includes valve clearance checks/shimming as required etc.   It can cost £6 -800 at a main dealer.   I love the bike though and many owners with good spanner knowledge tell me I could probably do it myself.  What happened with the Stag?  They were prone to cylinder heads overheating and warping if I recall correctly.
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Whats the crappest bike you've ever owned and why?
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2020, 02:24:42 PM »
... if only the Journos were to 'tell it like it is' and hold the Manufacturers to account, maybe we would get better products !

A good point and one made recently by an aspiring motorcycling journalist friend of mine.

You can read his take on “Is motorcycling journalism broken?” here: https://www.tvam.org/is-motorcycle-journalism-broken/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 01:45:24 PM by SteveD CB500K0 »
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2020, 04:29:30 PM »
my first proper bike a royal enfield crusader purchased for i think £30. To be fair it was old and i had zero mechanical knowledge, i had some fun on it until i bought my 250k4. When i sold it i made a profit despite it breaking down on the test run, the lad had pushed it back, but when he saw the queue of prospective buyers on my driveway he bought it anyway!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2020, 05:51:07 PM »
Just to stick another nail in the CJ Hondas coffin, I wonder what CJ actually stood for?   Crap Job  perhaps!   ;-)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2020, 08:31:11 PM »
Sorry everyone you missed your ideal opportunity to own a nice CJ  ;D ;D

BTW If you come accross any NOS CJ exhaust components grab 'em cos they are mega rare and go for lots of £££££

I always thought CJ was Reggie Perrins boss anyway.

http://classichondamotorcycles.co.uk/bikedetail.aspx?bike=4918

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2020, 08:52:07 PM »
Ash,
You're absolutely right about the exhausts.
I haven't seen any replacement ones made anywhere (I guess exhaust manufacturers have their pride!) so original ones are very rare.
I've got one with a almost new silencer worth more than all 3 bikes together probably.
The other two have the most hideous bodge jobs - one has a standard silencer shortened and an end cap welded on, the other a badly fitted odd megaphone silencer!
Cheers,
Andy

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2020, 09:10:09 PM »
Ash you have now given me visions of pigs

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2020, 10:03:28 PM »
They don't make replica exhausts so you have to scrap em. Organised by the taste police.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2020, 10:07:36 PM »
The silencer on the CJ looks similar to the ones on the 550F's

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal