Author Topic: Can 550f1 Rocker cover  (Read 601 times)

Offline Richie 550/4

• View Profile
Can 550f1 Rocker cover
« on: April 11, 2020, 03:26:30 PM »
Hi All.

Would any of you guys out there in sohc land have a rocker cover for a ch550f1? It is the 8 shaft type cover not the 4 shaft style.

I have discovered mine has a worn rocker spindle seat. I am going to ask my local engineering firm if they could drill out and bush the damaged seat. But thought I may just ask here too.

Btw. Has anyone had any experience with drilling and bushing a rocker cover? It’s the outside seat that worn, no4 inlet only worn on the very outer seat.

Any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks and stay safe all.

I hope to be able to ride this money pit soon🤞🤞🤞🤞

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Can 550f1 Rocker cover
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 04:00:16 PM »
Not tried it but this guy did a fix using later (post '77) CB550 long 'locked' shafts.

Of course if the hole is badly 'egged' ..nota lot of use.

The noise and the fix...

http://youtu.be/MDIkDb_HhKw

http://youtu.be/scqvEDH7zbU

Nice and quiet after the fix...

http://youtu.be/gDDK6ZOxmno
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 04:36:41 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 04:03:16 PM »
All the covers are the same 71 500 to 76 550, very late ones had locked shafts as a "modification"  Ought to reasonably easy to sleeve, i have several covers but all in the garage i cant get to at the moment!

Offline Richie 550/4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 09:57:11 AM »
Hi all

Thanks for that info.

That mod looks like a great idea for reducing tappet noise. Thanks Ash. I think it could well be a possible fix for my rocker cover, as it’s only the very outside seat that has stretched. I’m going to look further into the drill out and bushing idea first, as I’ve just managed to find new rocker spindles and would be a shame not to use them now.

I will report back on progress.

Many thanks and stay safe.

Richard

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 12:53:18 PM »
Well here is a word of warning.

I just got a lovely  looking, post '77 rocker cover with the locked rocker shafts. The bearing surfaces and rocker pads look absolutely immaculate ...... supposed to be from a low miler bike and everything would point to that being correct plus the residual oil looked really clean.

Stripped the rocker shafts out though and they are definitely worn where the rockers bear on them. So seems like the modification  Honda did to pin the shafts with cotter type pins wasn't entirely successful. They did the same with the 750. The K0 had rocker shaft free to rotate but locked them with M5 bolts on later engines and I think Hondaman said in his book that he preferred the earlier setup.

After I agreed to buy this cover and had paid for it, Trigger told me that with the superior lubrication proprerties of modern oils,  the non-pinned shafts on the earlier 500 don't have the tendancy to rotate in the cover anymore.

I may be faced with buying a set of new shafts that cost as much as the cover cost me.

I also found the cotter pins that lock the shaft really hard to remove and I reckon with too much force you could easily damage the cover. What I did  was loosen up the locknut then use a G clamp without the swivel foot with the end ground  flat,  then use this to put force on the pin.  Next, whilst still clamped really tight, heat the alloy around the area then whack the body of the clamp with a hard faced mallet  and the pin shocks free.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 01:18:38 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 03:06:57 PM »
Yes Ash those cotters are a real pig to remove, fraid its the old adage of fix one problem and another pops up, i think it was modification 5 before Yamaha managed to fix the leaking exhaust gaskets on the RD350/250 LC.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal