Author Topic: Roger’s 400 build  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Rogerxlixi

• View Profile
Roger’s 400 build
« on: April 15, 2020, 03:25:02 PM »
Well after 2 years from originally buying and posting in the forum I thought I better update on my progress so far.

The first year went pretty well and work progressed swiftly. The second year however was rather much slower, mainly down to a house extension and my CB being deposited in a storage unit for around 9 months. As you can imagine this slowed progress somewhat.

To date I’ve been concentrating on the chassis. The frame, Swingarm, yokes, centre stand and some other small stuff went of to be coated. I decided to use Cerakote and the finished articles came back excellent. The Swingarm required some repairs along the way after finding rust and filler in it!! Next along I got the hubs, front brakes items, spindles, engine bolts, Swingarm pivot, battery box and other item coated too.

So now, as you can see the frame, Swingarm, yokes and  centre stand are back together. I’m just about to order some rims and spokes, and some fork tubes to try and push on a little further, I would like a rolling chassis by then end of the summer if possible and then move onto the engine.

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roger’s 400 build
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 11:30:34 PM »
Wow... the Cerakote looks really good.. In Australia it would probably be too expensive a process to use on a frame.. the hubs etc all came out really good and will benefit from the Cerakote.
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

Offline Rogerxlixi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 09:34:58 PM »
Some more parts turned up this week. Rims and spokes.

First time I’d laced a wheel, and it showed. Followed a couple of online guides I found. Started on the front which went slow until I found my way. Then managed to get the rear done pretty quick.

Got to wait to borrow a mates wheel balance stand to get them true’d up.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 11:16:27 PM »
Great job that one Roger... really satisfying. A borrowed balance is the way to go, tho’ all not lost if you don’t have one; I’ve trued and balance 4 of my wheels now on a home-made jobby - worked a treat.
Don’t forget a final ping of all spokes at the end to check all under tension.
Enjoy...

Offline Rogerxlixi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 02:51:28 PM »
Hubs were Matt aluminium I think.
No not Leeds, down in Suffolk, near Bury St Edmunds. The guy, Simon, has a Facebook page, Flying Tiger Paintwork. I had some rearsets and brackets done on my KTM a while back and not had an issue, brake and gear pedals wearing very well (loads better than paint or powder coat).

Offline waffey

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 04:41:45 PM »
just trying to respoke my front wheel and struggling. do you have a link to the info?

as the picture shows, did you put all the spokes in first then drop the rim on.

stick with me as its my first time as well

edit: no offset?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 04:53:21 PM by waffey »
Bikes:
Triumph Street Twin
Suzuki Address 110 Scooter
Suzuki TL1000s
BMW R1200GS LC
Honda CB400 F2 1977 (restoration underway)

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • View Profile
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 12:47:11 PM »
Wow... the Cerakote looks really good.. In Australia it would probably be too expensive a process to use on a frame.. the hubs etc all came out really good and will benefit from the Cerakote.

Were the pics the right way up down there? On my screen they were upside-down!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:49:38 PM by SeanFD »
CB750 K2 - Ridden from Belfast(SA)-2-Belfast(NI)!
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - A work in progress.
CB400F Supersport - Rusty - not any more!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 12:51:00 PM »
Mobile phones are notorious for sorting this out for you.

Sometimes you don’t know until someone says “your pictures are upside down!”

PCs are dumb. Look at it on a PC if you want to check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Online Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 12:51:23 PM »
just trying to respoke my front wheel and struggling. do you have a link to the info?

as the picture shows, did you put all the spokes in first then drop the rim on.

stick with me as its my first time as well

edit: no offset?

Look on youtube there are vids showing how its done.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 01:27:38 PM »
Really fancy having a go at wheel building sometime. Can anybody post any links to good utube guides?
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 02:21:47 PM »
OK, there are two different spokes that have different hub ends, sort them into two piles.
By carefully looking at the hub witness marks you will find that one spoke goes from outside to inside so when its in you see the head from outside
The other sort go from inside to outside so you see the spoke.

Fit the spokes where you can see the head(18 or 20 depending on bike) then by referring to the picture you of couse took before you took it all apart lay the rim over the spokes and lace these spokes to the rim.

Fit wheel spindle and clamp one end in a vice the using some sort of fixed pointer NOT A DIAL GAUGE true the rim on these spokes, accuracy to less than 1/8 inch is Hondas spec, take note there is a point on the rim where it is but welded and this will cause a "kick" both sideways and verticaly that cannot be removed so do not go mental trying!!!

When you have the rim running true on these spokes and they are equaly tight you can easily fit the other spokes and finish off the wheel.

Doing it this way means that for a novice you only have half the spokes to worry about so its easier.

Have fun

Steve, i have written this out a few times can it go in tricks?

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 02:37:22 PM »
Thanks Bryan. Interesting truing it before all spokes fitted. Trust you check again when all in....

Brilliant lockdown fun I would think, learning this. ;D

One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Oggie400F

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 03:09:26 PM »
Great advice Bryan

This will be a great help as I will be re-lacing the front wheel of my 550F with Stainless Rim and Spokes soon.

I need to build a heater oven (AshimotoKO Style), repaint and bake the hub first though.
I'm a Radiographer............I can see right through you!!

1999 VFR800 fix in Pearl Prism Black
1978 CB750F1 in Candy Presto Red
1976 CB550F Supersport Brat Bike in Black
1976 CB400F in Varnish Blue - project bike in many bits.

Offline Oggie400F

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 03:33:51 PM »
Hi Oddjob

I don't have a gas BBQ so this will be cheaper than buying one and I can build and dismantle the oven as I need it and store the bricks behind the garage out of site when not in use.
I've already sent for all the electrical equipment I didn't have to hand.  Total cost was less than £22.

Just waiting for the so called eBay UK supplier thermostat to come from China!!  I hate it when this happens.
I'm a Radiographer............I can see right through you!!

1999 VFR800 fix in Pearl Prism Black
1978 CB750F1 in Candy Presto Red
1976 CB550F Supersport Brat Bike in Black
1976 CB400F in Varnish Blue - project bike in many bits.

Online Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 07:29:54 PM »
Great advice Bryan

This will be a great help as I will be re-lacing the front wheel of my 550F with Stainless Rim and Spokes soon.

I need to build a heater oven (AshimotoKO Style), repaint and bake the hub first though.

If you are using stainless spokes and nipples make sure you check the threads on the spokes are good and lube the threads.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal