Author Topic: Front fender hardware  (Read 922 times)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Front fender hardware
« on: April 17, 2020, 05:12:26 PM »
I removed the U-shaped front fender "strut" from the fender (my '77 USA model only has the rear lower horizontal strut) to clean up some inner fender rust.  The strut is fastened with two chrome (well, shiny) oval head screws, split locking washers and nuts, with formed plastic spacers between the strut and fender.  One came off easily... and one screw sheared right off.  When it came apart, I found one of the plastic spacers was broken as well.  The parts books don't show any part numbers for these items... does anyone have any info on availability?

I know I can just get different hardware, and I could probably make a new spacer... but just wondering...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Front fender hardware
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 05:24:27 PM »
David Silver sells the plastic part and probably the screws. For 500/750 but should be OK

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_61102300000/

Or Yamiya https://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=246_251_144_79&products_id=238

Bl**dy expensive for what they are .. You could probably shape a bit of plastic yourself if postage is expensive to your part of the world.

Just noticed you are in the USA .. DS has a setup over there.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:44:10 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 06:13:49 PM »
David Silver sells the plastic part and probably the screws. For 500/750 but should be OK

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_61102300000/

Or Yamiya https://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=246_251_144_79&products_id=238

Bl**dy expensive for what they are .. You could probably shape a bit of plastic yourself if postage is expensive to your part of the world.

Just noticed you are in the USA .. DS has a setup over there.

Thanks Ash!  I know so many parts are interchangeable, just a question of what fits and how to find the part numbers.  I have purchased from DS before - they provide a great service, but their prices and shipping are both very expensive.  I might just take care of this particular problem "in house..."  ;)

Offline hondarc166

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 03:08:06 PM »
d silvers has a site in the usa

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 07:14:56 PM »
I make the plastic parts. you can have some just message me .
I will have to find the stock I made
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 07:41:08 PM »

RGP750 - I tried messaging you a couple of times...

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • View Profile
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 01:21:14 PM »
Thanks Ash!  I know so many parts are interchangeable, just a question of what fits and how to find the part numbers.  I have purchased from DS before - they provide a great service, but their prices and shipping are both very expensive.  I might just take care of this particular problem "in house..."  ;)

There's a way to find out what fits what on the CMS website https://www.cmsnl.com/. When you click on a part, scroll down to the bottom of the page and there's a list of bikes that the part fits.You have to register and login to get the full list; otherwise only the first 10 or so are shown.

Their parts are sometimes cheaper than DSS, but then postage to the US would probably more than make up the difference.

It's funny how the smaller the part, the bigger the price, isn't it?
CB750 K2 - Ridden from Belfast(SA)-2-Belfast(NI)!
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - A work in progress.
CB400F Supersport - Rusty - not any more!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 02:04:54 PM »

RGP750 - I tried messaging you a couple of times...

I think Richard is self isolating in his shed making walking sticks and doesn't come on here that often now. I need to phone him anyway so I will ask for you.

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 10:27:36 AM »
I found a plastic item with a hole already in it that I thought might be suitably fashioned into one of these spacers.  I think it worked pretty well; the only problem is the item's original shape meant that there was a concavity to the sides, which would have been facing up when in place - possibly a place for water and muck to collect?

No matter - the piece is white, and my can of flat black spray paint is dead.  An ebay NOS Honda replacement spacer costs the same as a new can of paint, so I just ordered the spacer after all...

Thanks for the lead on the part number, Ash!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal