Author Topic: Glazed bores?  (Read 780 times)

Offline Greg65

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Glazed bores?
« on: April 19, 2020, 02:17:00 PM »
With time on my hands I’m taking the opportunity to investigate the high oil consumption on my Suzuki GS 1000.

So first up a bit of background information. The purchase was a bit of a spur of the moment, I really should have gone for a sorted GS 550 but a big shiny picture fooled me. If nothing else I have learnt a lot about spannering. The first problem I encountered was the bike was running very rich, you only need your nose to tell that. The standard air box had been removed and cheap foam pods added and the carburettors rejetted. I stripped them and found two bodies had broken pilot screws (the sharp tapered one) wedged in the body. In addition the main jets had been increased 10 steps above standard, way in excess of a pod requirement. So two replacement bodies sorted, all then ultrasonic cleaned and smaller mains put in and proceed to road test and change mains again settling on 3 steps up.

So about 2,000 miles later oil consumption high, no obvious leaks but brown/black staining around exhaust I start to suspect the valve stem seals. So commence top end rebuild not knowing the history, as I strip I am finding a number of new parts, cam chain, guides and healthy looking stem seals. Piston crowns and head are heavily coked, not soft, I think a combination of oil and unburnt fuel.

So here’s some pictures.

So am I suffering from bore glaze due a poorly run in engine? What do I need to check? Will a simple hone cure the issue or will I require new rings as well?

Many thanks for all advice.

Greg
Keep smiling it makes the management nervous.
Honda CB400 1976
Suzuki GS1000 1978

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Glazed bores?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 04:20:39 PM »
Do you by any chance have the GS knock. A tapping sound at tickover to low revs that is apparently camshaft end float. I'm told they all do it over 40k miles but I don't believe them. Supposed to be all the GS models right down to the 400 twin.

Bit hard to tell from a photo but those bores definitely don't look glazed to me. Check the valve guides aren't shot as the early engines had an off centre valve that allegedly causes the cam end float and guide wear. The offset valve (design error) puts an end on force on the cam.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 04:26:02 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 04:30:58 PM »
Those valve seats look poor to me.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Greg65

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 04:40:44 PM »
Hi Roy, no tapping so far. Yes the valves are not seating well on 3 of them, all will be addressed. I need to visit an engineer with better measuring equipment than I possess. This is the frustrating part of being locked down at home, time rich access poor.
Honda CB400 1976
Suzuki GS1000 1978

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 05:15:45 PM »
As a diferent bike I do know that the Kawa Z 1000 when they first cam out were being rebored under warantee due to buyers running in to carefully glazing bores and rings. Just honing and new rings would not cure them

Offline Greg65

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 05:34:32 PM »
Thanks Bryan, I’ll do some more research and post on an American forum which usually has some good advice. I need to get the bores measured and form a plan
Honda CB400 1976
Suzuki GS1000 1978

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal