Author Topic: UV bonding  (Read 1055 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
UV bonding
« on: April 25, 2020, 08:20:09 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with UV resins for repairing plastic parts. I usually resort to reaching for the Superglue but seen some outrageous claims for this UV stuff. Seems to me that only really good for transparent materials as otherwise the UV will only cure the bond edges

Any other recommendations for high strength plastic repairs?
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: UV bonding
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 10:02:01 AM »
Funnily enough that UV stuff comes up as an advert on YouTube recently with all sorts of claims but I have no experience of it. Interested to see if anyone else on here has tried it out too.

I have been using this epoxy in the link  for years .. takes ages to cure but by mixing different fillers (i.e aluminium ultra fine power, ground ceramic and talc, coloured epoxy pigment etc you can do all sort of repairs. If you put enough filler it it forms a putty. You can vary the hardness by using more or less hardener (it's in the data sheet). Don't confuse this stuff with rapid epoxy in little tubes .. totally different.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/potting-compounds/1991468/       Quite expensive but lasts for years

Datasheet : https://docs.rs-online.com/3543/0900766b81580057.pdf

There is also the superglue trick and baking soda .. The baking soda makes the adhesive cure instantly plus it fills gaps (wet item with superglue and sprinkle the baking soda on) But I still stick with the RS epoxy stuff myself.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:08:02 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 10:35:32 AM »
Got this via some crowd funding thing. Waited ages for it to turn up and so far haven't managed to permanently fix anything with it. Could be I'm doing something wrong or using it on the wrong materials but I thought it was supposed to fix anything.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 04:34:58 PM »
A long while back I tried out some UV activated pre-impregnated fibreglass patches. They sell them for things like emergency canoe repairs.

It worked fine on the sunny day I chose.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 09:24:16 PM »
I used some on a pair of binoculars which i dropped on the first time i used them! first attempt did not work but on the second try i shone the light for longer and then built up the repair with a bit more of the glue, this did work well and is still ok. However i have tried a couple of other things without success and i think it is about how the uv light can penetrate.

Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 08:59:08 AM »
From my research seems like only works well on transparent materials where the UV can reach to cure.
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 10:52:58 AM »
Hi Again,
My dentist used UV bonding on my fillings; just plastered it on and shone a light into my mouth for 20 secs. Strong stuff, still holding together 12 months later.
1974 Honda XL250 K0 - Silver - owned for 32 years. Not running at the moment
1972 Honda CB750 K2 - Now candy apple red - Ex USA, a DK special - needs a lot more work than I thought - very quickly becoming a DS special...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal