Author Topic: Felt flap discs  (Read 1499 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Felt flap discs
« on: April 25, 2020, 10:55:30 AM »
Anyone use these discs? ..I just tried out with polishing soap on my 750 valve cover and fooking awesome product.

I messed about yesterday pinching the speed controller out of an old jig-saw and linking into an old mains angle grinder to get lower speed and not impressed. But just tried out with my cordless one and really good results. I think the friction reduces the speed of the grinder to an RPM compatible with the discs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/%C3%98125mm-5-Flap-Felt-Disc-Polishing-Angle-Grinder-Buffing-Wheel-Metal-Best-Price/263498999270?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

attachimg=2]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:57:49 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Felt flap discs
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 03:50:51 PM »
Anyone use these discs? ..I just tried out with polishing soap on my 750 valve cover and fooking awesome product.

I messed about yesterday pinching the speed controller out of an old jig-saw and linking into an old mains angle grinder to get lower speed and not impressed. But just tried out with my cordless one and really good results. I think the friction reduces the speed of the grinder to an RPM compatible with the discs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/%C3%98125mm-5-Flap-Felt-Disc-Polishing-Angle-Grinder-Buffing-Wheel-Metal-Best-Price/263498999270?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

(Attachment Link)

attachimg=2]
They look brilliant ash. Show us the polished results...

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 05:00:13 PM »
They look brilliant ash. Show us the polished results...
[/quote]

Give me a couple of days James ..just waiting for some small wheels to arrive in the post  to do the really hidden bits. Valve cover was from a UK 10/69 750K0 with 46K miles so you can imagine what state it was in.

I thing though..  the discs flatten the battery pretty quickly even with a 5A & a 4A battery pack
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 05:19:10 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Oggie400F

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 05:59:28 PM »
Looking again at the pic it looks like you have been polishing in your dining room or conservatory!
How did you get away with that?  🤔😁
I'm a Radiographer............I can see right through you!!

1999 VFR800 fix in Pearl Prism Black
1978 CB750F1 in Candy Presto Red
1976 CB550F Supersport Brat Bike in Black
1976 CB400F in Varnish Blue - project bike in many bits.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 06:06:06 PM »
There are Scotch rite disc, s available too.
I have used them to surprisingly good effect.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 06:30:06 PM »
Yep, use them all the time but, only good on large flat surfaces with no raised detail. Always better off with a traditional mop  ;)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 06:32:03 PM by Trigger »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 07:55:59 AM »
Every so often Lidl stock a 125mm 240v angle grinder which has speed controll as a standard feature along with Scotchbrite 'disks' and a velcro backing pad. , very good for polishing, though I have only used it on my wood turning projects -  I am afraid I don't do polish  on bikes so ain't tried it on that.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »
Yep, use them all the time but, only good on large flat surfaces with no raised detail. Always better off with a traditional mop  ;)

I fully agree you can't beat a proper polishing machine and loads of fancy pants mops etc Graham but we are in lockdown and I don't have access to the normal stuff I have at work or my mate Rodgers gaffe ....  like, polishing machines,  TIG/MIG Welders, curing ovens, bead blaster etc etc.. So I am having to go back to basics and hoping that this may help others who may be working from a shed with limited space and resources and budget.

Ian ..the grinder was pictured on a table in my house but I used it outside  ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:14:01 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 12:46:50 PM »
...the grinder was pictured on a table in my house but I used it outside  ;D
Without the guard installed, the thing must make a hell of a mess...  ;D
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 10:39:09 PM »

I fully agree you can't beat a proper polishing machine and loads of fancy pants mops etc Graham but we are in lockdown and I don't have access to the normal stuff I have at work or my mate Rodgers gaffe ....  like, polishing machines,  TIG/MIG Welders, curing ovens, bead blaster etc etc.. So I am having to go back to basics and hoping that this may help others who may be working from a shed with limited space and resources and budget.

Ian ..the grinder was pictured on a table in my house but I used it outside  ;D

You are always welcome to come down and get dirty with my polisher  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal