Author Topic: Air intake manifold  (Read 1143 times)

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Air intake manifold
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 11:03:14 AM »
I never faff around with these things, any sign of hardening i buy new and bin the old ones, it makes life so much easier and gives me a little more beer time.

Offline TKMSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 07:40:53 PM »
I had the same problem fitting mine onto the carbs. Problem as I saw it was the plastic body holding the trumpets pushed in and became concave when trying to push on the middle two trumpets, leaving them stranded.
I removed the four trumpets and because the body is plastic, I used a heat gun to warm up the face where the trumpets fit and from then inside, pushed the face outwards, focusing on the middle two trumpet holes.
When suitably convex shaped, I then dropped the plastic body into a bucket of cold water, to freeze this new shape.
Refitted the trumpets and then the complete assembly back onto the carbs which gave a better, longer fit on the middle two trumpets.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2020, 02:59:15 AM »
Pretty certain it is some sort of plastic onto the carb. It does however mate into a rubber trumpet located within the - for want of better words - the large collector. This is definitely a different material than what mates onto the carbs. Mine is the earlier US version by the by.....
I think yours are like mine were before I bought new ones. Over time the heat from below, or perhaps just natural perishing transforms the texture. The new ones felt noticeably different. Last time I endured this ritual I fitted the rubbers to the airbox first and wrestled it all in that way, wasn't easy...but easier.  Maybe it's Tojo's revenge!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 03:01:02 AM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal