General > Out & About

Out and about - as a pedestrian.....

<< < (6/6)

mike the bike:
Some good aerial photography there.

MrDavo:
Yesterday we put Karen's Skoda into reverse to get off the drive and there was an almighty 'boing!' as another spring let go. I don't know if its the roads or the quality of springs that's getting worse, I never broke one for years, now both our day to day cars have gone through all four corners (not my old 911 though, it doesn't have springs but torsion bars, big scale versions of the valve springs in a Black Bomber).

We took it to the garage next to the bridge that Oddjob and I were discussing earlier in the thread. I watched a couple of artics go over the bridge, they either very slowly and deliberately use every inch of the road, its a very tight approach, to a narrow bridge at 90 degrees to the road, or don't bat an eyelid and make it obvious that the driver does it every day without worrying in the slightest. If I go with the wife to pick the car up again I'll take a photo.

Before the lockdown we'd have taken two cars, now we walked home the long way, along the canal bank.

We were met by some inquisitive goslings, eager to see if we'd brought sandwiches:

Mum and dad soon came over to keep an eye on things. Flipping Canada Geese, coming over here and eating our bread....

This is pretty much unique, an electricity pylon straddling a canal. put there when the canal wasn't there any more. Back in the 1980's, I remember walking along the line of the long disappeared canal, and this pylon was alone in an empty field, with no trees, no water and no sign of where the canal had ever been. This was the first time I'd been along this stretch since the canal was restored, the difference is staggering.

This may be the end of our walks as the lockdown eases, or maybe we'll keep doing them anyway, we've enjoyed making the best of a bad situation.

MrDavo:
Out and about to Ravenstonedale now we can stay away from home.

When we got there on Saturday we were having trouble finding Gamelands stone circle, until I wondered how come that sheep was tall enough to be looking over the hedge at me....

Here's a top tip for walkers - when your weather app predicts double windsocks, make your way to the highest point possible, hopefully there will be a handy concrete trig point, to hide behind from the horizontal hail!

The view wasn't bad though. The Howgills, known as the sleeping elephants.

Johnny4428:

--- Quote from: mike the bike on May 19, 2020, 11:15:33 AM ---Some good aerial photography there.

--- End quote ---
😂😂

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version