Author Topic: Lacquer?  (Read 2277 times)

Offline DaveN

• 'You don't buy beer, son, you just rent it"
    • View Profile
Re: Lacquer?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 11:53:39 PM »
It's worth trying to salvage it. My tank is sprayed with Halfords Honda Milano Red and Petrol Resistant Laquer.
It was at least a week before I put any fuel in it and no problems so far. 👍

:)
1977 Honda CB400F Super Sport
2016 Herald Classic 250
*1979 Honda CB550K*
*1980 Honda C90*
*1973 Suzuki GT185*
*1968 BSA Bantam Bushman*
*1964 NSU Quickly*

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 12:21:26 AM »
Hi, RS Bike Paints do an  isocyontate free clear coat that isn't nasty to spray and goes on quite nice, takes a couple of weeks to harden but polishes really well - http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/motorcycle-product-details.php?category=lacquer&productid=lacquer400ml

Offline DaveN

• 'You don't buy beer, son, you just rent it"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 02:43:28 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and sympathy folks.

Spent today seeing if I can salvage the tank. First stop was 800 grit wet and dry.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Then 1200...

Finished off with 1500

And touched up the red as I had to go a bit deep on the top edge to get it smooth.

Letting this all dry off and will decide what lacquer to use tomorrow.
1977 Honda CB400F Super Sport
2016 Herald Classic 250
*1979 Honda CB550K*
*1980 Honda C90*
*1973 Suzuki GT185*
*1968 BSA Bantam Bushman*
*1964 NSU Quickly*

Offline OZZYSBIKES

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 04:12:25 PM »
I recently painted my trials bike tank with non isocyanate 2K aerosol that the supplier (Ebay) claims is as good as proper 2K  I know it's not because my brother was a  car body repairer for 30 years but I have given it a go, the paint and the lacquer were both non isocyanate 2K but after leaving the job 3 days I splashed petrol on it and it marked the lacquer, I managed to polish it back up and I have left it two more weeks, it's definitely a lot harder so hopefully it's going to be petrol resistant now (as the manufacturers claim)
Re paint compatibility, my brother reckoned that proper 2K is compatible with almost any other paint and it is fully petrol proof once hard but you have the isocyanate problem, it can be really nasty stuff causing long term health problems I would only ever paint with it outside with a mask on and for short periods of time  (like a bike)

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2020, 05:37:33 AM »
Most... if not all 2 Pack these days is Iso Cyanate free due to the OHS rules and regs.
There are plenty of good quality ISO free 2 pack spray cans of clear.. Eastwood paints are generally pretty good.. and their 2 Pack looks to have some really good points over standard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-Ol2OmZxg
there are a number of rustoleum videos around as well showing their 2 pack clear.

1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 08:14:37 AM »
Most... if not all 2 Pack these days is Iso Cyanate free due to the OHS rules and regs.
There are plenty of good quality ISO free 2 pack spray cans of clear.. Eastwood paints are generally pretty good.. and their 2 Pack looks to have some really good points over standard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-Ol2OmZxg
there are a number of rustoleum videos around as well showing their 2 pack clear.

I watched the video ... looks good but no mention of isocyanates ... so I looked up data sheet and found this quoted below in description. I have not yet found a 2k in a can clear coat , which  is isocyanate free. Anybody know if this exists?

"Always wear eye, skin and respiratory protection when using this product. Product contains Isocyanates, wear NIOSH approved breathing equipment. Always use in a well ventilated area away from open flame. Consult MSDS for specific safety warnings"
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2020, 08:35:00 AM »
Hmm I didnt spot that but the times I have used it before were in well ventilated area with a 3M mask and pre-filter plus closes etc... that shit sticks to everything.
Having said that... during my apprenticeship in the Aircraft Industry in the early 70's I spent 6 months using a massive degreasing tank which was hot MEK which had you pretty much high all day... had 2 years with my hands constantly in Acetone, MEK or pretty much any other solvent you can name when in the sheet metal shop and constantly had chromate (we knew it as cocky shit) on my hands... 18 months in the Hawker de Havilland Hydraulic Shop working with all sorts of fluids including Skydrol and up to the armpits in White Spirits when stripping items down and yet I am still here... no adverse effects (some would disagree) but I still err on the cautious side and use PPE these days.

The rustoleum one says it is Iso free.
https://www.rustoleum.com.au/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/RustoleumAU/TDS/English/Hi%20Chem%20TDS/2-Pack-ISO-Free-Clear.ashx?la=en-AU
1975 CB400 - Project

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2020, 08:48:16 AM »
Ash, this company do isocyanate free 2k paint and will supply it in aerosol too. Bloody expensive though, they charge £10 delivery for one can.
https://www.jawel.co.uk/

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2020, 09:12:12 AM »
Thats cos they aint allowed to post it due to the aerosol propellent, usually butane since cfc's were banned

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 01:00:03 PM »
The 3M mask I bought online to use to strip the unwanted paint out of my CB750 cases, using MEK, I now use for shopping at Aldi!

@ Andych, In an old book I have a picture taken in Swindon Loco works in the 1930s. A huge boiler is hanging from above on chains, as men spray it with blue asbestos, wearing full health and safety gear of flat hats and hobnail boots! I bet they didn't live to a ripe old age. Now when I take a broken abestos garage roof tile down the tip to sling it they have a hizzy fit at me, and threaten to seal off the area until they can don space suits.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 01:03:49 PM »
Yep and that's the "safe" stuff, Hate to think what I breathed in working on the Babcock boilers in the Merchant Navy!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2020, 01:19:16 PM »
I went to a talk about the timber docks area  of East Hull and saw  old photos  of men in the 1930's in a storage room of asbestos on the docks larking about and making asbestos 'snowballs' and throwing at each other. Different times !
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2020, 01:32:33 PM »
Ash, this company do isocyanate free 2k paint and will supply it in aerosol too. Bloody expensive though, they charge £10 delivery for one can.
https://www.jawel.co.uk/

I can find this from Jawal which is isocyanate free but not in an aerosol 2K. The 2K they sell in aerosol is isocyanate cured

https://www.jawel.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=177_180

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2020, 02:56:26 PM »
Can you all remember at school when you broke a thermometer and used to flick the Mercury around  ;D ;D
They would shut the school down now and do a deep clean  ;)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2020, 11:56:08 PM »
Hard to do that with a Digital Thermometer... although people have a hissy fit if you point the laser dot at them.. so probably similar sort of antics lol
1975 CB400 - Project

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal