Author Topic: CB550 replacement battery ... gel / agm / other  (Read 1354 times)

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
Re: CB550 replacement battery ... gel / agm / other
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 10:51:52 PM »
I always buy Yuasa, trust them, rate them and never had a bad one yet.

Don't know if you know this but you can get a Trade Card from Halfords really easily. Even if your not in the trade there are ways round it. A Yuasa YB12A-A is just under £38 from Halfords with a trade card. If you haven't got a trade card PM me and I'll tell you the secret. Will cost around £5-10 to get one but you'll get that back very soon, I buy my oil, spray paints and any batteries and tools from Halfords now and I've more than made that back. Of course if you also have a car it will also help get the cost back.

Thanks

I've actually got one but always forget to use the bloody thing after getting tools ages ago  !!

Off to get one tomorrow :)

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 01:21:14 PM »
I always buy Yuasa, trust them, rate them and never had a bad one yet.

Don't know if you know this but you can get a Trade Card from Halfords really easily. Even if your not in the trade there are ways round it. A Yuasa YB12A-A is just under £38 from Halfords with a trade card. If you haven't got a trade card PM me and I'll tell you the secret. Will cost around £5-10 to get one but you'll get that back very soon, I buy my oil, spray paints and any batteries and tools from Halfords now and I've more than made that back. Of course if you also have a car it will also help get the cost back.

Can you not tell us the secret here, or will you have to shoot us if you do? :)
1971 cb750 K1

Offline OZZYSBIKES

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2020, 08:59:55 AM »
Hi,

Has anyone fitted a Lithium battery to their SOHC bike  ? I have fitted lithium batteries to the NS400R and ZX6R track bike and I am very happy, my 550 has a modern regulator/rectifier fitted so should be OK on having a stable charge rate, unless anyone knows any reason why not ? I am a bit of a weight reduction obsessive with my bikes hence the lithium battery option.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 04:59:48 PM »
May be modern reg rec but is it lithium compatible

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 09:22:28 AM »
I fitted a Motobat MB12U and it’s been great. Went for maintenance free as I got fed up not being able to easily see the fluid level in my previous unit without taking it off the bike. The plastic case just too opaque 🙈🙈🙈
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 11:41:25 PM »
Ozzy.... I’ve LiFes fitted to my 750K2; 400F (and ‘Guzzi 1200) since 2015 and can’t fault ‘em. They’re been truly maintenance free, irrespective of the bikes going winters unused... whatever.
Wrt Bryan’s valid comment, this brand has on-board electronics to cope with the 1970s SOHC OEM charging (which my 2 Hondas are)

Simon

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 03:02:04 PM »
Motobatt AGM on mine. 3 years no problems yet. Very little use in that time though. Does hold a charge for an incredibly long time when stored off the bike.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal