Author Topic: Fork brace option  (Read 904 times)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Fork brace option
« on: May 16, 2020, 09:18:21 AM »
Currently run no front fender on my 750k6 build, I haven’t noticed any significant slop in the front end (but then again I don’t hammer the old girl) but have been recently thinking about a fork brace.

Original plan was just to use the inner bracket off the front fender but mine was too nice to chop up so it’s gone to someone else. On the look out for one that’s damaged so I Won’t mind destroying it as much but I suppose it still won’t be as good as a real fork brace.

Anyone using a fork brace here? Would love to know which one and see some pics!

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Fork brace option
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 10:14:37 AM »
I feel it's a myth that the original braces offer anything in the way of structural integrity to the forks and wouldn't bother for that reason.

They have a load path that adds nothing to the far greater in size and strength fork tubes plus triple clamps.  Also the legs are secured to each other via a substantial wheel spindle.  The standard bolts used on the mudguard also being too small to assist in the loads you're intending to counteract.

I always run a mudguard to prevent it flinging rubbish around in wet conditions,  it does nothing more though.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 11:18:47 AM »
Telefix fork brace on a 400
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 02:45:40 PM »
I feel it's a myth that the original braces offer anything in the way of structural integrity to the forks and wouldn't bother for that reason.

They have a load path that adds nothing to the far greater in size and strength fork tubes plus triple clamps.  Also the legs are secured to each other via a substantial wheel spindle.  The standard bolts used on the mudguard also being too small to assist in the loads you're intending to counteract.

I always run a mudguard to prevent it flinging rubbish around in wet conditions,  it does nothing more though.

An interesting take, as I mentioned in my original post I’ve not actually noticed any slop, suppose I’m just worried about something flexing when cornering at speed

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 02:46:01 PM »
Telefix fork brace on a 400
Looks decent!

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 06:33:41 PM »
Had one on 750F1 for years, here it is on the bike prior to the refurb.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 08:03:58 PM »
Had one on 750F1 for years, here it is on the bike prior to the refurb.

Cheers

Dennis
Is that a tarozzi?

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 09:43:17 AM »
Is that a tarozzi?
[/quote]

Nope, standard F1, but I fitted F2 tank and seat, Dunstall silencer, F2 tail light bracket. F2 indicators, headlamp brackets and the fork brace. Here she is after 10 years of being covered in grease under a dust sheet while I was abroad.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal