Author Topic: fork seals  (Read 2691 times)

Offline OLIVER1GEORGE

• View Profile
fork seals
« on: May 25, 2009, 12:20:42 PM »
hi can anyone give me advice on changing fork seals , do i have to remove the stantions from yokes or do i just need to seperate the legs from the stantions by taking wheel off and brake setup and by the looks the mudguard thanks any advice will help

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: fork seals
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 02:16:33 PM »
You"ll need to remove the wheel, mudguard and brake caliper from the legs.

Slacken the bolts at the top and bottom yokes and slide the legs downwards and out of the yokes.

The stanchions then need to be removed from the legs. There's a bolt or allen key recessed in each leg.

This will then give you access to the seals. There's usually some sort of wire circlip over the top of the seals which will have to be removed to get the seals out.

Your manual will give you full details.
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 03:40:19 PM »
HINT DO NOT undo the chrome nut on the top of the tube until you have removed the allen bolt from the bottom. Also inspect the chrome carefully for pitting as any will wreck the new seals quickly

Offline OLIVER1GEORGE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:26:36 PM »
so i cant leave the stantions bolted in the yokes and just remove the bottom legs of the forks it all has to come right out to replace seals  im just making sure as i have never done a set . the chrome on stantions is really good its just they have been sat for so long the seals have perished .

Offline OLIVER1GEORGE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 08:52:48 PM »
Thanks Dave and all the chaps for  great advice .. did seals today and all went well and they dont leak anymore , allways a good sign mind you what a bloody nightmare getting old seals out , forks feel alot better with job done and new oil one happy biker

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal