Author Topic: 1978 Honda CB550 Supersport - My first retro bike rolling restoration!  (Read 13742 times)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
On the subject of electronic ignition, I got mine from David Silvers. Have done over a 1000 miles on it and its never missed a beat.
I've started using the DSS electronic ignition system and it's actually an excellent quality item. I believe this is the 'Daytona' system made in Japan by Kokusan - interestingly they are the OEM manufacturer of the electronic ignition in my 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 MkII.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Kokusan made a lot of electrical stuff for many japanese motor manufacturers

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
2nd for Mark(hondamans) system because i do so little mileage i live with the points as is but if i was riding more i would go with his.
He is that honourable that when a two year old system failed he replaced it evev though the problem was where the owner mounted it and managed to fill it with water.
Similar to the old sparkrite system for cars where it drops the current accross points to milliamps so no arcing or electrical wear, plus if it does go wrong a matter or minutes to revert to standard, unlike full ellectronic systems

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
"Similar to the old sparkrite system for cars" that's a good memory of those Bryan.

I've still got a Sparkrite fitted to a 1980 Rover V8 with single set of points for all 8 cylinders. Still works perfectly and has a switch so that you can isolate it and run just points or switch it to electronic without changing any hardware.  Works so well you can start it by hand hot or cold with the crank handle  ;D

They are just taking the timing from the points with a miniscule load across then,  then using an amplifier to switch a power transistor to run the coils.  The points really do last indefinitely with this method as all the loads are switched via solid state components.

Offline woody928

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Thanks for all of the insight chaps, there certainly seem to be some good systems and choices out there.

Ken has very generously offered me a solution to replace the mess on my bike and get me up and running. I think I'll need to take the time to look into Honda Mans system too, it sounds like a great compromise between the two.

I have plans to ride the bike over to the Netherlands and West Germany to visit some travelling friends once I've got the  bike roadworthy and the world has opened back  up a little more, so I'm working to the goal of making her ready for a 1000 mile trip after languishing in storage for all of these years.

Some parts are finally starting to turn up on the  doorstep so I need to get cracking. I've even picked up a 6L ultrasonic cleaner to do justice to the carbs when  I get around to stripping them. I still need to work out what the best service kit for my rebuild will be. Perhaps considering all of the required O-rings from Julie and then hoping that all of the internal components can come up like new in the ultrasonic...

Offline woody928

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Just a small update, parts are trickling in slowly and I'm waiting on a big order from Wemoto before I can really get cracking. 

My new coils have arrived so I was replacing those before I discovered that all four retaining screws were knackered with rounded off heads so I had to fight all of those off first. Next hurdle was that the positive wires had been fitted with spade connectors (I assume these were bullet connectors from factory) and had two spades forced into one positive wire. I've purchased a dual bullet connector adapter to replace this and hopefully get the new coils all wired in and secured. I have full intentions of reversing them from the factory placement to run the ignition wires via the engine rather than down by the exhaust manifold as before causing my melting issues.

Today I also got out there with a set of feeler gauges to check and adjust the valve clearances, I think I've got these right now however getting just the right amount of drag on the feeler gauges must be an art I'm sure. We'll see soon enough. 

As ever, the more I look into a project like this, there's more to be done. A new chain will be going on having noted surface rust on the one fitted, at the same time new sprockets seem like a wise idea. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've seen the following two x-ring type kits which looks reasonable...

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cb_550_f_f1_f2/75-80/picture/swift_super_heavy_duty_black_silver_x-ring_chain_and_jt_sprocket_kit

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cb_550_f_f1_f2/75-80/picture/did_vx_heavy_duty_x-ring_gold_and_black_chain_and_jt_sprocket_kit

Offline woody928

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Some more good news for you as well then Woody. Replacement screws for the points plate arrived today. Swapped over and trimmed them down as they were a trifle too long and I was worried the advance/retard mechanism might just hit them. The switchgear and the points plate will be in the post tomorrow buddy. Amazing how well the plate looks with brand new screws. You should be able to use the points on them but see if the condensers are still ok. You'll know as soon as you start the bike if they are, the wires on them are kinda hard these days but then again they are at least 40 years old.

As for chain, if you can hang on a few days I'll measure the pin length on the O-Ring chain I used for years, it was still on the bike when I took it out of storage. You can compare pin length on that to the newer X ring chains.

Fantastic, thanks Ken thats really appreciated! Very much looking forward to getting that fitted up in place of the tired unit in there so that I can actually set the ignition timing! Next stop after that will be a start up again to see where I stand before stripping the carbs and starting that rebuild. I'll keep my fingers crossed it fires up ok, if the condensors have seen better days, what will the obvious signs be? (showing my ignorance again)

I'm not in a rush on that front given the list of other jobs I already have so can easily hold off for a few days. That would be much appreciated  ;D

Offline woody928

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
On it's way Woody, 1st class signed for. When it arrives don't forget to put some fresh oil on the felt pad for the advance/retard mechanism to run against, or the heels on the points will wear down fast.

Thanks Ken 8) That's great news, I had a decent delivery from Wemoto today, new JIS screws arrived for the coils and Julie has sorted me out with a carb rebuild gasket kit so I'm moving in the right direction! What oil would you advise using showing my ignorance again? 

Noting your wisdom on the condenser front and the exposed wires in mine, I've just ordered a new pair to fit at the same time. Fingers crossed that buys me some reliability and I won't have to worry for a long time. 

I'm also keeping fingers crossed that the weather holds out and its going to be a  very productive weekend  ;D

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Most motor factors will sell a mineral oil, you may have to get 15w40 instead of 10w40 but thats fine. My local place(try not yo use eurocarparts) charge £15.46 plus vat for 5ltr, just dont say its for a motorcycle or they get worried as they dont have recommendations for that tell them its an old Ford or Vauxhall.

Offline woody928

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
I've picked this up for the engine the other day so I should be good, £18 on sale. Whats the oil capacity on these? I think I read somewhere that it's 3.2L.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/shell-helix-hx7-10w-40-5ltr-521772251

I presume I can use the same oil on the the ignition plates felt pad to lubricate it?   

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Worries me it is semi synthetic listed for a car so may have friction inhibiters that wont do clutch any good

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
I've picked this up for the engine the other day so I should be good, £18 on sale. Whats the oil capacity on these? I think I read somewhere that it's 3.2L.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/shell-helix-hx7-10w-40-5ltr-521772251

I presume I can use the same oil on the the ignition plates felt pad to lubricate it?

I would not use that oil on a motorcycle. It is the wrong spec for a engine with combined clutch and gearbox. 

Offline woody928

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Oops... I just fully read the specs  :-\

What would you guys recommend for these bikes?

Offline Oggie400F

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Most motor factors will sell a mineral oil, you may have to get 15w40 instead of 10w40 but thats fine. My local place(try not yo use eurocarparts) charge £15.46 plus vat for 5ltr, just dont say its for a motorcycle or they get worried as they dont have recommendations for that tell them its an old Ford or Vauxhall.

Is this oil the correct spec mineral oil for the SOHC’s?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303176095119

Not a bad price for the 20 litres and free delivery. 🤔
I'm a Radiographer............I can see right through you!!

1999 VFR800 fix in Pearl Prism Black
1978 CB750F1 in Candy Presto Red
1976 CB550F Supersport Brat Bike in Black
1976 CB400F in Varnish Blue - project bike in many bits.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Well i just bought some

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal