Author Topic: 1978 Honda CB550 Supersport - My first retro bike rolling restoration!  (Read 13746 times)

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
Don't worry I’m nor a purist, each to his own is more my view.... Looks like you have plenty to keep you busy there... shame about the Marshall pipe, I’ve no idea of its value but it must be very rare to find one in that condition, it would suit anybody who is trying to build a special but in the 80’s style.... I haven’t seen one fitted to a classic honda for decades and I’ve certainly looked at plenty in the last few years...

Offline woody928

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Don't worry I’m nor a purist, each to his own is more my view.... Looks like you have plenty to keep you busy there... shame about the Marshall pipe, I’ve no idea of its value but it must be very rare to find one in that condition, it would suit anybody who is trying to build a special but in the 80’s style.... I haven’t seen one fitted to a classic honda for decades and I’ve certainly looked at plenty in the last few years...

Refreshing to hear, I know people have strong opinions in the vintage community. I guess my plans are somewhat odd in that I'm not going OEM or cafe/brat etc anyway. It seems never ending sadly!

Thanks for the info, I hadn't appreciated it was a period and unique piece. The dent to the pipe is certainly a great shame and something I hadn't noticed at the time. I'm hoping to find a new owner who will appreciate it and put it to good use, soon to be up for grabs anyway. The delkevic that I've picked up certainly seems the business for me at least.

Offline Safo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Nice finish on the forks and mudguards, looks great, hope all goes well

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Your too far from me to buy the exhaust im affraid

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Here is my delkevic 😎 they are awesome and great value.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
And the chain !!  >:( >:(

;D

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
The bastards.....  ;D

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
We have your parts here -
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

My organisation - SPECRE SPecial Executive Counter Restoration of Early Hondas has taken them

So Mr. Rob62 to maintain the full originality of your pathetic motorcycle, you must pay me -

$1,000,000

You have just 24hrs before I hand them to Wolfgang for complete destruction

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I warn you Mr. Rob62 we expect your parts to DIE if you do not pay

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
We have your parts here -
(Attachment Link)

My organisation - SPECRE SPecial Executive Counter Restoration of Early Hondas has taken them

So Mr. Rob62 to maintain the full originality of your pathetic motorcycle, you must pay me -

$1,000,000

You have just 24hrs before I hand them to Wolfgang for complete destruction

(Attachment Link)

I warn you Mr. Rob62 we expect your parts to DIE if you do not pay
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 That made me laugh.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Cute puddy tat!!!

Offline woody928

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Nice finish on the forks and mudguards, looks great, hope all goes well

Thanks man, much appreciated  :D

Your too far from me to buy the exhaust im affraid

If you're interested then I'm more than happy to bubble wrap and post it, if not then no worries, I'll advertise when I find some time.

Here is my delkevic 😎 they are awesome and great value.

They do look mega I must say! Nice bike you've got yourself there, CB750?

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Thanks woody!
And for the stolen parts, they have mysteriously re appeared 👍👍

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 1978 Honda CB550 Supersport - My first retro bike rolling restoration!
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2020, 02:40:05 PM »
It wasnt me it was Julie(not a referance to our wonderful nurse but to a silly movie) EDIT Rocketman movie

Offline Zoltan

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2020, 01:12:46 PM »
OK, it's in 550F1 trim but you say it's a 1978 bike?

I bought an F2 SuperSport in blue metallic on 2nd August 1977 and still have it. It's in standard original trim, not repainted etc. Photo taken 2 weeks ago for you to compare.  The seat is also now back to standard.

Cheers, Dick
Honda CB550F2, 1977
Honda ST1300 Pan European, 2016

Offline woody928

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2020, 04:59:59 PM »
OK, it's in 550F1 trim but you say it's a 1978 bike?

I bought an F2 SuperSport in blue metallic on 2nd August 1977 and still have it. It's in standard original trim, not repainted etc. Photo taken 2 weeks ago for you to compare.  The seat is also now back to standard.

Cheers, Dick

Sorry for the slow reply, this has been on total hold while I've been riding across Europe for the last 30 days. 9 countries and 5000km so not bad going in the current environment! I picked up a Honda CB500X for the trip which was absolutely mega, super reliable and have already agreed its sale today.

That is correct on both counts, I can't quite understand it myself. It definitely looks to be an F1 based on my limited knowledge and other more experienced members input however it's also definitely registered as a 1978 bike so I have no idea...

It looks like you've got yourself a really tidy bike there!

Fingers crossed more progress is going to be made imminently, having returned to the UK I've finally picked my wheels back up fresh from a total rebuild. I need to give a huge shoutout to Trigger on here who rather generously saved my rebuild. It turned out that my rear drum brake liner was totally buggered, cracked in five places and had a hole in it. It was in fact so bad that it had to be scraped, thankfully though Graham sorted me with a replacement and turned it around incredibly quickly.

I have to say the wheels do look the dogs bollocks in my opinion having been finished in satin black with stainless spokes, photos to follow soon as I start piecing the bike back together. I'm keeping fingers crossed that I've now got what I need to get it all back together and fingers crossed get back on the road just in time for winter!

Tomorrow I'll also be picking up my seat which has been totally customised and re-upholstered, not one for the purists however from the photo I've been shown I think it looks mega and am looking forward to getting it fitted back up to the bike. More progress to follow shortly I hope, I just need to remember how everything goes back together now  :o

IMG_1120 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal