Author Topic: Valve stem seals  (Read 789 times)

Offline OZZYSBIKES

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Valve stem seals
« on: May 23, 2020, 08:45:15 AM »
Apologies as it's probably been covered a hundred times but I want a recommendation for valve stem seals, I have a big bore kit to fit to my K3 550 and I am taking out the valves so need some stem seals, I want decent quality ones so that they are not leaking a few hours later, any advice on which ones to buy and where as I have read that some of the cheapest ones are suspect quality ?

M and P do some at a good price but there's no brand

Thanks in advance

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Valve stem seals
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 11:21:21 AM »
They usually come in a top set and most are ok. You need a top set to get all the O rings anyway.

Offline OZZYSBIKES

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 11:42:51 AM »
Ok thanks, I have a top set but was a little bit unsure about the quality of the stem seals, if they're usually ok I'll fit the ones I have,  I need some of those rubber puck seals, I'm guessing they will be genuine Honda from Silvers

(I had read a few negative comments re the stem seals but there could be reasons for that)

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 12:35:56 PM »
Just check the sealing lip visually for knicks or tears, some cheaper ones dont have clips where they fit over the guide but still seem to work.
I have seen sets both with and without the pontefract cakes, if not supplied then its Honda.
Like i tell everybody read the manual several times about fitting cam cover, i have ssen many bent valves and a few broken guides when not done correctly!!

Offline OZZYSBIKES

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 02:17:02 PM »
No "Pontefract cakes" so I'll get some from a dealer, probably Silvers if they have them,

I've seen a few disasters with similar, I am very careful when building engines not to damage anything, there's only ever two ways to do something, either right or wrong

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 05:08:39 PM »
check with Nurse Julie for the pucks and other o rings
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline OZZYSBIKES

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »
All sorted thanks, genuine Honda on the way to me, going to take the head apart today and probably grind the seats and clean up the head, tempted to have a look at cleaning up the ports but knowing that it's easier to make things worse rather than better I'll leave it alone, not trying to make the bike much more powerful,  just a little more comfortable at motorway cruising speeds

Offline OZZYSBIKES

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 12:05:40 PM »
Well, you live and learn or more correctly you live, learn, forget and learn again !

Got the head stripped and all is well, valve guides are good, camshaft bearing surfaces very good, the bit that I have relearned is not to order the parts until it is fully stripped down as you never know what unexpected things might be needed, in this case three of the inner valve spring seats (shim washers) are missing, I could understand if all eight were missing, the builder might not know they are needed but to fit five and leave three out ? Or perhaps just remove and refit some valves but not check them all ? Well it goes against my thinking,

Well hopefully that's the last obstacle to the rebuild

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 02:51:22 PM »
You could find them stuck to the bottom of the inner spring or on the floor by now  ;)

Offline OZZYSBIKES

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 04:19:20 PM »
I checked all of the above and below (on the floor) they were missing,  now ordered so should be able to have it back running on Wednesday,

It doesn't surprise me with some of the work on this bike, it has a spurious exhaust system on it and the back brake lever hit the exhaust and the side stand wouldn't fit, I removed it completely, refitted it correctly and now the side stand is fitted and the rear brake lever doesn't touch the exhaust, hopefully nothing much left on this bike to surprise me !

Offline OZZYSBIKES

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 04:26:04 PM »
PS I have a few neodymium magnets and did use them to pick off the stubborn ones, I also got a magnifying glass and a pick to see if they were stuck fast, they weren't and with the magnifying glass you could see that it was the material of the guide and not the shim, all good now, all ready to rebuild, I'll get the barrel on Tuesday then finish off Wednesday (all being well, no unforeseen slip ups hopefully)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal