Author Topic: New member UK 500  (Read 2545 times)

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: New member UK 500
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2020, 10:47:13 AM »
Summerfield Close is part of my morning dog walk!

Small world...
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2020, 10:54:24 AM »
No way!
Here’s a bit more local history for you then....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2020, 11:00:11 AM »
That frame number ties up with other 73 reg K1 UK models, unless you go to Honda UK and pay about £30 its dificult to give an exact date as Honda were building K1 models for the UK  and at the same time K2 models for elswhere plus just starting the 550 K0 for the US.

Personally i would put the proper tank on it, UK colours would be Gold, Brown or Black, painting tank and panels as and when and correct all the "wrong" parts as you go and have both time and cash.

Firstly give it a full service and mot, even though you dont have to have one, gives a good idea of what is worn then start on the rest. For example rear indicator brackets are wrong, no rear grab handle, fork gaiters look odd but resolution not best so cant be sure, front mudguard wrong(thats the dearest bit!)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 11:16:19 AM by Bryanj »

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2020, 11:23:50 AM »
Thanks for all your input so far :-)
The story goes that the first owner was in Germany in ‘73 and special ordered it from the factory in this colour. It was delivered new in the UK. Other than that yes I agree it’s not a UK colour. If I were to restore it (doubtful) I’d change it. As I say I think it’s better to enjoy as is, surface rust and all!
I wonder if the original purchaser was in the army at the time. I bought a new car in 1972 whilst stationed over there. Built to UK spec in Paris and delivered to Celle.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2020, 12:23:44 PM »
Ah yes, Keith Manning - another local.

Last time I walked past his house he had a rather nice Rickman parked out the front...
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
New member UK 500
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2020, 12:13:40 AM »
That frame number ties up with other 73 reg K1 UK models, unless you go to Honda UK and pay about £30 its dificult to give an exact date as Honda were building K1 models for the UK  and at the same time K2 models for elswhere plus just starting the 550 K0 for the US.

Personally i would put the proper tank on it, UK colours would be Gold, Brown or Black, painting tank and panels as and when and correct all the "wrong" parts as you go and have both time and cash.

Firstly give it a full service and mot, even though you dont have to have one, gives a good idea of what is worn then start on the rest. For example rear indicator brackets are wrong, no rear grab handle, fork gaiters look odd but resolution not best so cant be sure, front mudguard wrong(thats the dearest bit!)
The bike came with a bodged-on wide grab rail which was getting in the way in my small garage, not strong enough for purpose, so I simply bracketed the indicators on quickly to retain them. New stubs on the shopping list (by new I mean good used.!) Front mudguard is good and solid so a low priority, I think the tank is first due to the poor fit as-is. I’m still minded to retain the green as I getting to like it (so does Mrs..) so I’ll try an get a match at the local paint suppliers. Rest of service items obtained and in hand. 

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:23:45 AM by mickandsej »

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2020, 12:16:51 AM »
I think I’ve found the colour code, Porsche Conda Green 222. Ties in with the provenance, ordered a coded aerosol to see how it looks. The plastics show no signs of ever being another colour - headlamp included - and the ‘78 logbook shows green so despite the non standard paint I’m going repair the new tank to match..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal