Author Topic: CB750 F1 Brake pad issue/modification  (Read 686 times)

Offline Priddy

• View Profile
CB750 F1 Brake pad issue/modification
« on: May 25, 2020, 11:33:19 PM »
Hi,
 I have replaced most of the front braking system and have a reasonable braking efficiency but on a recent strip and service I noted the inner brake pad to have a raised section towards the bottom not as one could expect in the centre of the pad. As this is the inner pad it is actuated by pressure from the outer where the piston is and as the retaining section of the inner calliper appears thus to have an imbalanced amount of force to the lower area as a result does in due course I suspect cause a spongy feel when pressure applied as a result of the inner calliper housing being forced to flex.
 Now, I propose grinding off the raised section to ensure the back of the brake pad sits perfectly against the calliper and hopefully giving a firmer feel, my long winded question is has anyone experience of this and is it normal to have this raised section at the bottom of the inner pad?

Thanks!
Martyn Priddy

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 F1 Brake pad issue/modification
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 07:46:35 AM »
There is supposed to be a raised lump roughly in the middle of the steel backing, presumably to help orientation

Offline Priddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 07:19:48 PM »
Hi Brian,
 My pad has a raised 'hump' but distinctly from the centre (bullseye) to the lower (6 o'clock) area. Spoke to an old Honda tech today who advised the pad may be a generic one and some of the 500/550s had this from new - it definitely puts the pad at a slight offset vs the disc. For the price of  a set of pads I am going to remove the hump to see if it improves the feel!
Martyn Priddy

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 12:41:55 AM »
You will not improve the brake by removing the hump. It is to ensure full contact with the disc. It will be worse until the pad wears to the new angle and makes full contact and then it will be just the same as before.

Offline Priddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 10:55:22 PM »
 I understand your point and as an engineer I am loath to tamper with what appears to be standard but I have checked and the pad does not sit flush to the disc due to the raised section in the lower half of the pad. The calliper back section has no corresponding 'dimple' recess to accept the raised  section of the pad so I remain puzzled.
 If the modification allows the pad to sit in line and flush with the disc and calliper back as I expect all well and good - if not I will replace the pads, I hope to report back with images soon!
Martyn Priddy

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 06:42:15 AM »
On a floating caliper system the pad is NOT to be flat back  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal