Author Topic: Lifespan of a helmet  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: Lifespan of a helmet
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 06:47:01 AM »
Indeed, cool helmet Oddjob.

... had an initial look through a couple of ‘bike shops today and was gobsmacked at the sheer number of helmets on display. Can’t imagine 1/2 of them ever get sold, and left wondering what happens to ‘em and whether they’re taken down after a certain time on display. Hmm.

On a separate note, here in Oz, it seems riding (almost) naked is totally acceptable - I bloody cringe at the number of folk in T-shirts and shorts doing 110kph on the m’way or wherever, on extremely powerful bikes. Florence needs them to sit down with his missus too... dear god it’s horrible to see....
Ho hum.

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 08:31:34 AM »
Was looking yesterday and spotted this, really like the colour scheme and design of this helmet, it will match my gold/black CB500 when I get it on the road.

I like the look of that Shoe,it’s worth looking at Infinity Motorcycles online they have reductions on at moment😁
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »
No they wouldn’t 😁worth looking at J&S to,I’m a tight bu**er and wait till helmets an old model.Have 4 useable helmets at mo 3 Shoei 1 Bell,wife thinks I have enough 😂😂
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 10:03:08 PM »
... if ya wait Dave for an old model have you not potentially lost a year or so of its useful life given we’re told that the linings ‘degrade’? That was my point on seeing the sheer number of helmets on display yesterday... ie most will be there too many moons after date of manufacture.
Confused!

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 10:45:26 PM »
No not if it’s kept in bag/box and stored properly,Shoei technicians told me 5 years advised life of helmet but if stored properly and not dropped will last for years obviously if lining gets grubby I’d bin it
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2020, 10:43:26 AM »
I wonder if someone from Carole Nash is reading these posts?
Strangely enough I was asked by Carole Nash to take part in an on-line survey yesterday about my attitude to safety. The majority of the questions related to helmets and how long would I keep one for, open or full face, have I ever worn one after dropping it, what make do I use, have I tried other makes etc, etc. Seems odd, maybe Carole Nash are undertaking surveys on behalf of helmet manufactures ?
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2020, 02:41:06 PM »
I have a low opinion of Carole Nash😡😡 their “advisors” know as much about motorcycles as my arse does about snipe shooting.f**kwits that’s what they are.Rant over lol.😂😂
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2020, 03:02:39 PM »
CN lost my business forever when they charged me £35 to end a £25 VIN number only policy, I wished I'd just not told them and left it to lapse. When my Harley got backed into by a blind bitch in a Freelander, they did a good repair job, including replacing parts that were barely scratched, but charged the claim with more than the retail price of the crap Suzuki they hired it me for 3 months while they waited for parts. If I'd known they were going to do that, and that it was going to take a whole summer, I'd have insisted on the hire of another Harley, I'm sure I'd have been within my rights to.

Regarding helmets, when I raced bikes there was a specific clothing scrutineer who always checked the age of your helmet using the label inside. She made me buy a new one, but when I ended up in hospital after a big pile up at Aintree, and noticed someone else's tyre mark on my lid, I was glad she had. That was my last race, I decided to get out while I could still walk without a permanent limp, unlike several of my mates.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal