Author Topic: Lifespan of a helmet  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Lifespan of a helmet
« on: May 26, 2020, 11:24:43 PM »
So I have a Schuberth helmet - which for me, is perfect. I don’t want to change it, but it is 9yo now, and I’m asking if this is a big deal?

It’s had a gentle life of a couple of hrs use / week, kept dry, and in soft surroundings. And of course, never been dropped.

So... is it good forever, or do these things need replacing on-time?

Ta.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lifespan of a helmet
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 12:15:31 AM »
Most manufacturers recommend replacing helmets after 5 years.  That is obviously on the cautious side to avoid litigation if things go wrong.
One of the biggest effects on a helmet's strength and integrity is exposure to sunlight. Other than knocks and bangs of course.
I try to look after my helmet (stop sniggering at the back!) and keep it away from sunlight as much as possible,  as well as liquids that might damage it.
I'm happy to use a good quality lid for longer than 5 years if all is ok and the fit of the lining hasn't deteriorated.
I don't buy cheap polycarbonate lids.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 06:54:11 AM »
I had an Arai that I took to the bike show at the NEC every year. Arai offer a free safety check and service.

I asked them this in year 5 and the technician told me mine was good for another couple of years.

So, depends on the individual helmet and it’s condition.

I now have a Schuberth as the replacement model for my Arai was too noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 07:14:14 AM »
A common response to the question, 'How long should I keep my helmet?'  is 'How much is your head worth?'   

You could draw a parallel with old tyres that haven't done much mileage, so are road legal from a tread depth point of view, but have gone hard and perhaps have cracked with age.  Is it false economy to keep tyres (and helmets) longer than perhaps you should and risk them failing when you need them most?

We are all individuals and all have our own views on stuff like this.  I normally look to change helmets about every 5 years, but a bit like Steve, I had a couple of RX7 Arais that I really liked that I probably kept longer than I should've.   I changed to Shoei a few years back cos again, like Steve, I found the Arais to be noisy.
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 07:29:42 AM »
Fiberglass longer than plastic in sunlight, and untill the first time they hit the floor for  good life

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 07:43:11 AM »
The Arai guy talked about the impact absorbent lining ageing rather than the shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 08:23:56 AM »
I agree Steve, it is the foam inside that does all the important work and it doesn't last forever.  Over time it breaks down and will become less absorbent.  Always worth keeping your helmet in the bag it comes with to keep the sun off when not in use and usually there is a label inside with the date of manufacture.  I am notoriously penny pinching when it comes to bikes but not when it comes to safety, I always replace my helmet after five years and pay for a decent good quality item.  This last time I bought a Shoei, almost £300 but that's only £60 a year, a good deal less than my bike insurance. 

I used to favour open faced helmets because of the increased lateral vision but then my wife made me watch 24 hours in A&E on the television.  Now I always choose full face!

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 08:52:24 AM »
When I get back I always leave the front of my Schubeth C3 open for a while just to air before putting it away in the bag.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 12:21:46 PM »
I tend to replace mine after 5 years as I ride every day in all weathers, and it is usually the insides that are getting iffy. The padding will compress with time, and the foams degrade. They also get smelly and a bit rank, and the linings wear too.  Yes..you can take linings out and clean them....but....when you use the thing every day, opportunity to do that is limited, and to be honest...I'd rather my own odours than the chemicals in cleaners.

When I dispose of an old helmet, I always cut the straps off and slice up the liner/padding. Don't want some enterprising bin diver grabbing it, or the guy at the tip deciding he can get a few £££ flogging it on E-Bay.

Does give me an idea though......thinking about those US Diners with 'half cars' stuck on the walls. I could slice my old helmets in half...and mount them on the shed wall as decoration :)
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 06:28:36 PM »
I to have a Schubeth C3 nice lid but it does tend to put pressure on my ears if worn all day.
I use mine all year round and tend to bin them when they loosen up or just look crappy inside.
When I used to commute daily on the bike they used to be kept on muddy building sites and covered in crap the straps would rot out fairly quikly.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 09:59:10 PM »
I have a few helmets and keep them clean and stored in bags/boxes  in wardrobe if not using every day all Shoeis bar 1 Bell
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 11:32:41 PM »
... thanks all, I am aware Schuberth guarantee their lids upto 5 yrs; and that this  would be catering worst case use (eg sun / weather / many cycles).
Given my lid is pampered and practically fed grapes my ponderings were that it’d be good significantly beyond this.

Regardless, will go out and about today in search of a C4 Pro...

Ta for your thoughts,
Simon

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 06:47:01 AM »
Indeed, cool helmet Oddjob.

... had an initial look through a couple of ‘bike shops today and was gobsmacked at the sheer number of helmets on display. Can’t imagine 1/2 of them ever get sold, and left wondering what happens to ‘em and whether they’re taken down after a certain time on display. Hmm.

On a separate note, here in Oz, it seems riding (almost) naked is totally acceptable - I bloody cringe at the number of folk in T-shirts and shorts doing 110kph on the m’way or wherever, on extremely powerful bikes. Florence needs them to sit down with his missus too... dear god it’s horrible to see....
Ho hum.

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 08:31:34 AM »
Was looking yesterday and spotted this, really like the colour scheme and design of this helmet, it will match my gold/black CB500 when I get it on the road.

I like the look of that Shoe,it’s worth looking at Infinity Motorcycles online they have reductions on at moment😁
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »
No they wouldn’t 😁worth looking at J&S to,I’m a tight bu**er and wait till helmets an old model.Have 4 useable helmets at mo 3 Shoei 1 Bell,wife thinks I have enough 😂😂
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal