Author Topic: DS replacement petrol tanks question.  (Read 574 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
DS replacement petrol tanks question.
« on: August 30, 2020, 07:36:49 PM »
I'm hoping my petrol tank will clean up okay - "hoping for the best but planning for the worst". That got me looking at the DS replacement option a hefty £282 in primer.

I seem to think I have read somewhere on this site someone having issues with the quality of the fit to the original mountings is this the case or was it a one off ?

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 07:43:26 PM by Macabethiele »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: DS replacement petrol tanks question.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 09:35:39 PM »
I seem to think I have read somewhere on this site someone having issues with the quality of the fit to the original mountings is this the case or was it a one off ?
That was me. I was the first person to buy a tank from that batch... they had trouble believing me at first when I phoned them up. I was panicking because I had had the tank professionally painted with F2 decals and also fitted a new tank cap and bought, as is needed, a US style tap from them.  They rang me back to say there really was a problem, one of the DSS mechanics had tried to fit one of the new batch to one of there own CB400F's and found it wouldn't go on.   However they soon rang back again with a solution, just shave back the pair of mounting rubbers about half a centimetre and it will fit. With that out of the way I'm very happy with my tank. You could always phone them up first to see what is going on.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 09:37:56 PM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 06:20:36 AM »
Thanks for that information it's reassuring that they may have fixed the problem by now. Shaving a bit of the mounting rubbers doesn't sound too bad but it presumably puts the coils slightly closer to the tank as well.

At least its an option if I need to take it.  My Yamaha XJ900F had the dreaded multiple pin hole leaks  - bought a genuine tank that came fully painted & striped in original colours cost a hefty £435 in 2000. I used Wynns Dry Fuel every winter after that as prevention.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 11:13:14 AM »
Thanks for that information it's reassuring that they may have fixed the problem by now. Shaving a bit of the mounting rubbers doesn't sound too bad but it presumably puts the coils slightly closer to the tank as well.
I havn't had a problem from that though.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 05:44:38 PM »
I havn't had a problem from that though.

With me having Dynatek coils I might have to do some fettling of the brackets if I replace the tank.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal