Author Topic: Had enough  (Read 1206 times)

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Had enough
« on: May 31, 2020, 02:47:40 PM »
Hi all,
It's been great fun working on the 400 but decided today that she's not going to get any more money or time spent on her as she clearly doesn't want to play along!
Bought her as a basket case with some (odd) work already done and wasn't really sure if she was original / complete / sound enough to warrant investing time and effort but thought I'd give it a go.
The plan was to get her up and running and assembled without spending too much and this has gone reasonably to plan.
If she ran and sounded good I thought I'd then treat her to the pretty bits and a second round of restoration including chrome, paint, etc. etc.
Enjoyed rebuilding the engine and she runs up well enough despite being only 'roughly' tuned on the bench but the final straw has to be the carbs - after many checks, tweaks and resets and new DS parts they still leak like a holed bucket as soon as the fuel is turned on and I don't have the heart to do much more on them.
Just deciding whether it's best to sell together or break for parts - probably more value in parts but always a shame and I guess takes a lot of time to clear the whole lot. Any views on this from experience?
The best thing about doing this one has been this forum - really nice, helpful people who clearly love the bikes they own / work on.
Cheers,
Andy

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
Re: Had enough
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 02:54:28 PM »
That’s a real shame Andy, sure there would be someone on here would have a look at them for you if you could send them out.
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 02:58:06 PM »
I know just how you feel just now, but remember, the best price is a complete running machine and then riding it, stick with it.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 03:11:30 PM »
There has to be a simple reason the carbs leak, its just down to settings, cleanliness and petience. I have a junk set of incomplete carbs here you are welcome to any parts from

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 03:59:54 PM »
Andy, if you wish to persevere, send me the carbs and I will look at them and do any setting up for you free of charge.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 04:16:30 PM »
Something that could help.

Put the needle jet, orifice part, in a drill chuck,  mount a wooden food/ kebab stick in a vice,  and with a little t-cut or similar,  polish the internal tapered seat gently by spinning the drill.

Usually this will give a very clean and smooth surface for the needle valve to close on, a little like  valve grinding.

Or put the stick into the drill if feeling a bit cavalier  ;D

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 05:10:14 PM »
Float levels maybe?

When I’d nearly finished my CL450, I swung wildly  between flooded carbs persisting out petrol, and horrible lumpy running, to empty carbs and a bike that didn’t want to run, and when it did there was either no tickover or one that went bananas without warning.

I kept trying trial and error bending the float tabs  as I really didn’t want to take the carbs off again, but finally I pulled them off, replaced the new non OEM jets and needles with scrupulously cleaned originals, then set the float levels exactly as per the manual, using a card template and holding them at 90 degrees to their usual direction. Also new cables in case the originals were hanging up due to being 50 years old.

She now starts and runs like a new one, and ticks over at 1000 rpm solid as a rock.

1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 05:14:09 PM »
Andy don't let this be the last straw or something . It must be too minor an issue for that. I had a leaking carb myself recently: http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,21157.msg189145.html#msg189145
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 09:45:37 AM »
Thanks all.
Julie - unbelievably kind offer
Bryan - likewise very kind
To be fair I always knew it was 50:50 with this bike as she had clearly had a very hard life and everything was tired, worn, damaged or replaced with non-original bits.
I set myself a target of getting her together and running and then assessing if worthwhile going for a fuller restoration with all the associated costs and time.
She is now in one piece (less tank / seat) and does start and run easily but the carbs yesterday were a real John Cleese moment when i could happily have beaten the little bugger around the garden with a branch.
The issue is that having a cold look at the bike she still needs a huge amount of work to get near where I would be happy with her and I think realistically it's simply a bad 'base' to start from with the amount of bits needed.
Will take a bit of time to decide what to do with her and in the meantime busy with the CB900 and CJ250t (don't laugh) restorations - both very original, low mileage bikes but needing severe tlc.
Cheers,
Andy

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • View Profile
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 10:23:33 AM »
Hey Andy, don’t give up!

I went through a similar process; bought a bike, thought I’d just get it running and then worry about what would come next. My first description was “It’s rusty!”. Then I started the resurrection and very quickly she was christened “Rusty” after I discovered the full extent of the rust on the chrome.

After a bit more work and dismantling, I realised that whatever else the resurrection was, it wasn’t going to be quick. I convinced myself I’d not be happy with it if I just ploughed on, so I took a step back, took a deep breath and .... now the engine is out, the frame is stripped and well, we’ll see. I know it’ll be worth it in the end; leave it for a bit, work on the others and when you come back to it, I’m sure you will agree with me.

On the carbs: I recently rebuilt a 750K2 and had some difficulties getting the carbs right. I finally got it, I thought, and set out on a bit of a trip from Harare, Zimbabwe via Belfast, RSA to Belfast, N Irl. On my second day out the carbs started overflowing and nothing I could do would stop it. So I holed up for the night and took them apart, put them back together and all worked fine. The reason for the overflow?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Well it was the only thing I found wrong, so the poor was got the blame. Hang in there!
CB750 K2 - Ridden from Belfast(SA)-2-Belfast(NI)!
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - A work in progress.
CB400F Supersport - Rusty - not any more!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 10:41:48 AM »
Andy.

If you do sell, don’t go away as we love all bikes on here.

Personally I’d be interested in your CB900 story.

Thanks for the generous donation by the way

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Windycorner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 12:30:26 PM »
Andy
Do post your progress on your CB900 project, as I have a CB750FA which I have had for 30 years and I am am about to start looking at getting back on the road in the next few weeks, if you haven't already done so take a look at the cb750c.com forum loads of stuff on there about our bikes, and I have got a set 900 carbs if you need them.
Neil
CB750FA
CB400F2

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 10:36:39 AM »
Again, thanks everyone, really appreciate all advice and encouragement
Had a day or two away from the bikes - fixing leaky guttering and damaged fascia on house so a real treat!

The 400 is sitting in the naughty corner of the garage thinking about her dreadful behaviour and I'll have a calm look again in a few days.
As Bryan notes there isn't much that can be 'wrong' really - just frustrating, especially having fitted new float needles from DS which actually seem to leak more than the old ones!

Steve -  the work you do to run the forum and keep it ad-free etc. is really valuable and appreciated.
I certainly won't be going away anytime soon and will detail the 900 restore.

Cheers,
Andy

Offline Oggers

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 08:30:14 PM »
Stick with it. The smaller 4s are brilliant. As they are relatively small to your CB900 barge, you will find the handling is sublime. The bike is extremely "chuckable", very smooth when well set up and a blast on twisty B roads - just keep the revs up a little more. That said, mine still pulls very well from 3000 or so nevertheless. It is one of those bikes which if not set up right can be somewhat irritating, but I do find it pleasing that someone has thought deeply about its design and function. If you want real frustration try British bikes, I also have a 55 Matchless for which I have been chasing oil leaks for 6 months or so now. Dynamo also went AWOL for no apparent reason, as did the spark for one cylinder, as did the rear speedo drive, as did a fuel tap for all love - you get the picture....

With carbs it can be a pain. Suggest if not float needles, then floats themselves - If hollow, do they leak, do they float correctly etc. Look at the float needle seats. Any slight scoring or wear here will pass gas - as we all do from time to time. Polish them up or buy new. Having the correct float level goes without saying, and aslo take a look at the float hinges.

If the engine runs pretty well, then great. Most of the other stuff is pretty simple to fix - except electrics of course :D - and parts are reasonably plentiful - but perhaps not cheap. Bolt on stuff mainly. Personally I also think they are going up in value - if you value that side of things, and the way the country's economy is falling apart, that may be no bad thing. Assets may become King rather than cash.   

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 08:52:35 PM »
55 matchless-----they have oil leaks built in from new, dynamo probs usualy reg box or brushes, one spark relevant mag brush/pickup

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal