Author Topic: Motorcycle Sat Nav - Does Anyone use one?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Oggie400F

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Motorcycle Sat Nav - Does Anyone use one?
« on: June 04, 2020, 10:05:58 AM »
I am pondering the purchase of a bespoke sat nav for my riding.

Garmin and TomTom appear to have the monopoly.
If anyone is using one what are your views -The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?
Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.
I'm a Radiographer............I can see right through you!!

1999 VFR800 fix in Pearl Prism Black
1978 CB750F1 in Candy Presto Red
1976 CB550F Supersport Brat Bike in Black
1976 CB400F in Varnish Blue - project bike in many bits.

Online taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Sat Nav - Does Anyone use one?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 10:14:36 AM »
Most people these days seem to use a mount for their smartphone and use the map/nav on that. On long trips I've used a Garmin car satnav in a waterproof case mounted on the handlebar. The satnav + case cost £70 against £350 plus for a dedicated bike unit.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 11:27:07 AM »
I have a Garmin Zumo 340LM (£180 eBay)

Not the latest but not £500!

The bike versions are waterproof and have bigger touch button areas than the car ones. I did use a car Garmin for a while in one of those waterproof cases but it was too much of a faff.

The LM means Lifetime Maps so you get your second hand Zumo, register as new owner on Garmin.com and get software updates and new maps regularly. You need to plug it into a PC to do this.

I used paper maps and directions on my tank bag for years but am a firm convert to satnavs. I even use them when I know where I’m going as it has traffic camera warnings, speed limit reminders and ETA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 12:13:47 PM »
I use a cheapo eBay bike sat nav, used it for 2-3 years works well. With it I use blue tooth headphones. I used to use my Tom Tom and Garmin in a waterproof case but the bike sat Nav is better.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Oggie400F

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 12:20:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I’ve looked at the various TomTom and Garmin units and there doesn’t appear to be a lot of difference in features and price between the two across the equivalent model specs when you take discounts into account although £350 plus for the top models is still too steep for me.
I’ll check for used ones first in the usual marketplaces.

I do like the free lifetime Map, traffic and seed camera updates from predominantly the Garmin Units though.

Offline Priddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 01:35:06 PM »
I use Garmin although I find the mapping and software a bit of a faf as you are forever updating the lifetime maps!
Not yet fitted my old (660) unit to my F1 but on the list to do as I find it useful when just out for a ride to look at alternative routes as I go (and music is nice sometimes!) .
Martyn Priddy

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 01:43:24 PM »
I bought a Garmin Zumo 550 over 10 years ago.  It finally gave up last week, nothing to do with the actual sat nav but the cradle it sits in.  The connecting pins between the two are very fragile and with the old Garmin units you had to push the sat nav down onto the pins that were in the base of the cradle potentially cuasing damage if the security screw was not fully undone. Garmin knew of the problem and moved the connecting pins to the back of the cradle for the more recent models, far more robust. They have stopped making the 550 cradle now so if the pins break, that's it unless you can find a used and undamaged one on ebay but they are expensive and rare.
I've been looking at a new sat nav during the past week, they have certainly progressed since the 550 in terms of features and accuracy!
If you are not worried about getting the latest model such as the Garmin 396 or 595 there are some good deals on n.o.s 394/5 and 590. 
Two things are a must, free lifetime map updates (I paid £50 for a Garmin map update 10 years ago as I was doing a two week european trip), I havent updated it since at those prices! They may be cheaper now though.
If you are in a busy area like London and don't want to keep looking down at the device to see where you are supposed to turn factor in the cost of a bluetooth helmet intercom that way you can hear the countdown to the turn.
A mate had a TomTom, it kept losing the satalite, he switched it off in the end and followed me with my Garmin!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 02:37:38 PM »
I have a GARMIN for the car.and a cheapo Chinese copy for the bike. With Bluetooth headset.

The bike one works well.
And even managed to get it updated from China.
They seem to pirate the maps. And the original owner will not recognize the installation to update.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 02:55:36 PM »
Garmin 52LM car one mounted on bike, and maps. I enjoy using a map when touring abroad, GPS helps, once on smaller roads looking for hotels or camp sites its invaluable. Best one is when you're getting low on fuel and it finds the nearest. Very convenient for looking for food shops when camping.

Someone said using phone - My girlfriend used her phone in a purpose made case on handlebars until someone mentioned the danger of falling off and being injured when lone riding, you may be lying away from bike and unable to reach phone to call for help. Just a thought. My girlfriend no longer uses the handlebar case.

If you have an old Garmin GPS without lifetime map updates, its still worth updating Systems, they are free and make a huge difference. I had my old Garmin give up completely after years of use, it was dead, wouldn't even turn off, just a blank screen but on until battery died, plugged into PC to charge to try resetting and it downloaded System updates and works perfectly again.

I bought the Garmin 52 LM for a few £££ more than updating the maps on my old one.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Winterfield

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 03:49:06 PM »
I use a Garmin Zumo myself, a 345LM. I like it, but it has betrayed me more than once. I think there's something I've messed up, but when it re-routes because you go slightly off course, it decides that you're now going the adventurous route. It's how I ended up taking this narrow coastal road through Manish, instead of the slightly less narrow road around the north of Harris. https://goo.gl/maps/wDhCAmwLHBdA2LBG6

I also have a Quadlock for my phone. I've found the mount itself to be great, but in the rainy weather my phone's touch screen goes crazy, and is unusable (even without gloves).

One neat thing that Quadlock have just brought out is a wireless charging mount, which I'll be looking into.

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 06:18:19 PM »
I've used a BMW Rider 1V (Garmin 660 in BMW guise) for quite a few years now on the bikes, with every satisfaction. I use a Scala Rider intercom with it for voice.

I also use a Garmin (Drive Smart 61) in the car, and for many, many years have used their aviation versions in various aircraft.

I've seen Tom Tom used when travelling with friends, however the Garmins have worked so well that I've never been tempted to change to another make. 

Offline Oggie400F

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 07:52:04 PM »
Very useful comments gentlemen.

It looks like the Garmin is the way to go for ease of use, versatility and longevity.
Just need to find a decent unit at the right price.

Thank you

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 09:58:18 PM »
I made do with notes taped to the tank for years.
Then started using a Garmin car sat nav in a waterproof phone case. It was a bit hit and miss everytime I went around a roundabout the screen would flip and it would get confused.
My Guzzi had the provission for a TomTom so I tracked down the mount and sat nav to go with it. Its old but works well and only cost £50 on ebay  :)
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 02:18:41 PM »
I use satnav or mobile phone with app since 2011

Mobile:
Some years back I found it as less reliable than real Sat Nav device (probably due to GPS chips used that time in phones like iphone3GS, Samsung SII, etc..). Big issue was that time waterprofeness (now not issue anymore) and problem with charging while running satnav on direct sunlight in hot days. Phone was so warm that it was switching off due to high temp. And also problem operating display in moto gloves. Maybe today it is bit better but I still some issues will exist

Dedicated Sat Nav:
After my tries with phone I decided to go for Garmin Zumo 220 CE. Device perfomed well, however was bit slow in response and low display resolution compare to modern phones.
In 2014 I bought new Garmin Zumo 590 - that was really great unit (even I had some issues with early FW), quick, reponsive, big display. Display itself was not so impressive for me (colors were like faded), otherwise great. Disadvantage was that unit needed constant power feed, it was not running long on build-in battery only.

Since I chaged bikes from Honda CBF to BMW GS1200, I decided for BMW Navigator VI. In fact it is garmin unit but BMW branded. Compare to Zumo 590 display is absolutely great, even on direct sunlight, BUT unint is much much slower in response (zooming, typing etc). Otherwise, functions like Zumo 590. I still have unit, using on BMW GS and also on other bikes (I purchased extra holder/craddle that I move from bike to bike as needed. Livetime maps constat update for free.

My experience with TomTom - limited, I was not very happy with display on direct sunlight, but was responding quickly. Routing I believe is very similar like Garmin (=good)

Most of Garmin models allows to install practially any map you want (even you don't have LM version - I did on my 220CE), while Tomtom might be more difficult if I know well

So my advice would be Garmin - take recent 595 (big display) or 395/396 for smaller display or take latest units from their offer (but $$$).

Note to garmin routing - since years, garmin has built in "feature" that it tends to route via city centers ignoring much faster roads. On posiive side, it allows you to see city centers from bike's saddle that you would not enter otherwise and if you stop for break/coffee it bring unexpected experience sometime ;)
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

Offline OZZYSBIKES

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 03:42:15 PM »
I treat myself to the latest tomtom rider, don't know what the model was but it cost about £400, I have used it twice, I prefer the old method of looking on a map for what looks a good route, writing down the road numbers and occasionally getting lost, I find that half the fun 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal