Author Topic: Hello again  (Read 629 times)

Offline chrisr58

• View Profile
Hello again
« on: June 11, 2020, 07:56:37 PM »
Good evening all, it seems I joined this forum at some point in the past, though I can’t remember when! I have finally received my 8,000 mile 1977 CB550 K3 back from a 4 and a half year restoration ( don’t ask! I thought I was being generous when I gave him 2 years to do it!) Anyhow, I originally got this bike as a swap for a (knackered) Suzuki GT500 way back in 1979, I rode it home and never really rode it again until I decided to get it restored. My father had ridden it for a while in the eighties but it sat in his garage for decades until his death in 2012, then I had it in my garden for a few years. Not had a chance to ride it since it came back today but I’ve found out it doesn’t seem to want to tick over without choke, the restorer had left by then! Hopefully I’ll get a ride on it in the next couple of days and will report back, just wanted to say hello.

Offline chrisr58

• View Profile
Re: Hello again
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 08:37:08 PM »
Complete strip and rebuild, New timing chain, new rings, carbs stripped and rebuilt, he did say he’d had a problem with it only running on 3&4, but said he’d sorted it. Supposed to be someone who knows what he’s doing! To be fair I haven’t had a chance to get it hot, just run on choke for 5 mins. Looks like a good job so hopefully just needs running for a while.

Offline chrisr58

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 08:44:04 PM »
How long should it take for it to tick over without choke?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 08:54:30 PM »
Welcome to another local , there's a few more adding to the sohc south London contingent slowly  :)

They are pretty cold blooded with them not showing much warmth in that time.  You'd feel it pulling more if out riding it and know more positively when to back the choke in.

If you take the choke off too soon they fall flat on their face and you have to pull it back out fast to keep it moving,  just part of the set up on those.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 05:36:01 AM »
Can take over 10 mins to run off choke depending on wether standing or riding and they need riding very regularly or carbs will crud up again, im talking weeky here not months apart

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal