Author Topic: Photobucket  (Read 294 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Photobucket
« on: June 06, 2020, 05:50:33 PM »
I've had my Photobucket quite a few years now and generally I like it. I paid for it to go Ad free a few years ago now and when they did the charge thing in 2017/18 my account was largely unaffected, maybe because I'd already paid something I don't know.

Lately however whenever I go onto Photobucket to get a link or upload something I was getting hosting warnings but I just ignored them. I did go in there a few months ago and deleted a load of stuff I didn't want to keep.

This morning went in again to get a link and all the links are gone, says I need to pay to host. It's approx $89 a year to do what I want and I'm loath to do this unless I have to.

The alternative is to download all my pics (over 700) and rehost on another site but TBH they all seem to be going the Photobucket way, if they ain't now they may well do in the future, I read that Flicker did the same thing as PB and got abused everywhere because they did.

Now I'm reasonable on a PC but the thought of changing hosting sites is daunting to say the least, I'd have to change all the links to my pics if I could remember what the image was of course.

Any ideas before I bite the bullet and pay out.

There is a space for a coupon code on Photobucket and I did a quick search to see if I could reduce the amount but couldn't find a code, unless of course you guys know one  :D :D
Don't play stupid with me, I'm better at it

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 06:03:59 PM »
Do you know the size of your photo library? GB wise.

I think Google allows 15GB free.

Have you a Gmail account?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 06:05:16 PM »
They have you over a bucket (barrel)

If you move your photos every link you’ve ever posted will break.

From their side, hosting isn’t free and they have probably agonised over charging for what was free.

It’s less than £10/mth

I pay £13/mth for my 1Tb OneDrive from Microsoft. OK, I do get Office 365 as well…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Tiger 900 GT Pro
1971 CB500K0
2003 Speed Triple 955 (borrowed)

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 06:08:25 PM »

I think Google allows 15GB free.

Nothing is free.

They give you free email and storage.

You give them the rights to your data.

2020 Tiger 900 GT Pro
1971 CB500K0

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1973 CB750 UK K2.1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1978 CB400/4.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 06:17:55 PM »
I save everything on to a USB stick, including all my photos, at least you have total control of it and no one can hold you to ransome . I'm using a 2TB memory stick and it only cost £4.99 from ebay.
Im a Nurse, trust me, this won't hurt.....much !!!

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 06:25:45 PM »
Julie, just make sure you have 2 of them used alternatley. The tears from a mates teenagers when the usb stick dies! And he develops software and sometimes can even repair memory sticks.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1973 CB750 UK K2.1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1978 CB400/4.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 06:27:57 PM »
Julie, just make sure you have 2 of them used alternatley. The tears from a mates teenagers when the usb stick dies! And he develops software and sometimes can even repair memory sticks.
Good idea Bryan, for another 4 odd quid, that's worth doing.
Im a Nurse, trust me, this won't hurt.....much !!!

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 06:29:21 PM »
I use film, then put the photographs in a cardboard box. 

In the last couple of years I got a phone that has a camera.  I haven't taken many photos since.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 06:40:49 PM »
I use film, then put the photographs in a cardboard box. 

In the last couple of years I got a phone that has a camera.  I haven't taken many photos since.

Love it ;D
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 07:17:53 PM »
What a star!

2020 Tiger 900 GT Pro
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 08:49:22 PM »
I started putting all of my Honda literature on Dropbox and and  put links links to most of the files on here. Then I reached it's free storage limit and  I had no option but to pay £10 a month as I was constantly deleting stuff, which was in fact quite useful to have on there. They have me by the short and curlies now because I have put so many manuals on there that it's gone way beyond the free account storage limit. I do like Dropbox though and TBH never had any issues with it.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 09:21:26 PM »
John, yes I do actually.

However as has been said as soon as I move them the links break and TBH I can't remember where I posted the last pic never mind the hundreds of links that exist out there from over the years.

It's about £80 a year which is just less than £7 a month which TBH isn't bad, it's annoying that it was free and not they've changed the rules when they've got you.

I might have to pay up or stop posting pics.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 09:42:08 AM »
Photobucket is a disaster, initially they hosted photos for free then they wanted a huge monthly payment so I have quit using them. I have moved to Imageshack, lucily I did keep all on my photos on my hard drive and backup drive. I have had to spend a lot of time replacing the Photobucket pictures on all my old threads, as the photos now are fuzzy and have a Photobucket watermark through them.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 05:45:33 PM »
Photobucket changed CEO a few years ago and it was that tosser who decided to make people pay, no warning really, just pay up or we cut you off. It was a PR disaster, eventually so many left PB that even they realised they'd shot themselves in the foot, they got rid of that CEO and the new CEO reduced the amount charged to what we have now. At £90 a year for the intermediate plan of 250GB and 25000 images it's not that bad, the beginner one is 25GB and 2500 images but doesn't have hosting so no real use to me.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal