Author Topic: Condensers  (Read 787 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Condensers
« on: June 10, 2020, 09:55:24 AM »
Somebody recently put up a picture of a cheap condenser from a Range Rover V8 that they thought might fit the SOHC well i got some(had to buy 10 to make carriage worth it) to find they will not fit direct onto points plate due to the "pip" on the plate that goes into a small hole in the mounting plate on original condenser.
OK question for the electronic people on here. What happens if you put 2 condensers in parralel? Will it work or will it cause agro? Idea is to fit a couple of the rover ones at the coilas well as the ones on points plate. I know if it was just at coil it would be OK as Triumph did that for years, just want to leave points plate looking original if possible.
Cheers all.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Condensers
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 10:00:17 AM »
You get a condenser equal to the two values...

I will let someone like Ash talk about whether you can connect different types of capacitor (it was 30 years ago when I did this for a living)

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 11:00:06 AM »
You should be OK connecting in parallel (doubles the capacitance of the single one). wil  affect the ESR (equivalent series resistance) but don't worry about that it shouldn't matter for what you are using them for.
Key is to have correct max working voltage but if it was intended to be used on a car ignition application you should be fine.

My 500K0 came from the US with weird aftermarket GM points and backplate and wire ended 'Radio Shack' capacitors that I binned.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 01:13:19 PM »
Sounds like a plan then.
I got 4 sets of 2 to sell on then if anybody wants some £2.50 per set of 2 plus whatever the post is, or Hermes if you want it lost

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 06:51:40 PM »
It is only a genuine part if it have the Honda logo on the packaging, any one can use a part number as a reference  ;)

There was someone a couple of days ago selling off a load of points. The picture had a Honda trade bag full of points but, they were not genuine points. A quick message to the seller telling them that they were not Honda points and his reply was, these are as good as Honda as, I have used them on my own bike. Another quick message saying, that there is nowhere on the listing that these are a aftermarket part and because he had a Honda trade bag in his main picture that he was implying that there are a genuine part. 10 min later the listing and pictures were changed  ;)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 09:13:41 PM »
On the subject of condensers I got some from Andy Cepok recently. Now I don't like buying from him but sometimes we have to deal with the devil. They were shown as genuine Honda ones, listed with part number showing on box etc. Seemed cheap for genuine so I ordered a few.

However when they arrived it was clear they ain't genuine Honda, wrong manufacturer GSPEK, part number stamped on box though is correct, how is Andy Cepok being allowed by Honda to sell parts with Honda part numbers on as genuine when it's clear they are not. They fit, the look right but they ain't genuine Honda. Seeing as Honda are so anal about anyone using their logo and Wing and such why are they not clamping down on this like they did with DS.
I have never ordered from Andy Cepok. Some gut feeling warns me. Also he was the most expensive, whenever I looked for a part...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 04:19:16 PM by deltarider »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 06:59:36 AM »
Andy is selling genuine Honda swingarm collars cheaper than anywhere else

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile