Author Topic: UK 500 fixer upper  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: UK 500 fixer upper
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2020, 07:51:57 AM »
I suppose that does make sense
As an electrician for 30 years I was always told when finding a blown fuse to just replace .if it blows again start fault finding ..and when pretty sure you had found said fault try again ......thats 2 fuses gone.
3rd one is possibly to replace the one you dropped and couldn't find ...

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2020, 10:06:05 AM »
I think mine really needs a rewire, so much of the harness has been butchered, other parts are brittle, a lot of it is waterlogged. The principle I’m working to is track & trace fault finding in all the usual “barn find” areas, got it running, now running well, get it stopping, steering, bouncing, see where I’m going, tell others where I’m going, what’s that puddle, how fast will she go, ooh that’s rusty, but one day soon I’ll be able to jump on it, go for a blat on a B road, realise just how good it is, maybe use it for commuting, ride past that bikers caff where all the shiney weekend hogs park up (have to, its on my way to work...), relive the fizzy days of my yoof..
Sounds all poetic doesn’t it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2020, 10:16:52 AM »
Woodside, that's what I call robustness. From now on I'll have three in that grommet and another three in that little niche in the tooltray. That's for in case I forgot there was that grommet or - vice versa - that little niche. Yes, we're all getting older, folks. Now let me see, where did I leave my bike...
For those interested, I discovered a minor error in the wiring diagram for the CB550K2 (aka CB550 '76) on p. 172 of the Shop Manual Honda CB500-CB550 http://www.honda4fun.com/pdf_man_officina/pdf_manuali/CB500-550/CB500-550-K_09.pdf. The same error occurs in all three wiring diagrams of the CB500K2 (ED, F, G) aka CB500K2 GENERAL EXPORT. Forsaid wiring diagrams show the 15A main fuse fitted in the middle position. But... it's supposed to be in the last position, closest to the rear. So the order from front to rear should be: 5A, 7A, 15A just like the the cover and its grommet correctly indicate.

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2020, 10:22:11 AM »
I found this online, a bit basic but invaluable in unravelling the spaghetti, not found any errors on it yet

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2020, 11:31:25 AM »
Mick, as you can see, the CB500 Owner's Manual came with no less than four different wiring diagrams http://www.honda4fun.com/pdf_libretti/500/CB500_k1/CB500_K1_4.pdf and the K2 is not even represented... That model also had four different schemes: US, ED, G, F.
The remedy is simple. Compare engine- and framenumber of yours with those listed in the first few pages of the various CB500 Parts Lists. They are all here: http://www.honda4fun.com/materiale-documentazione-tecnica/parts-list/parts-list-cb500 You only have to do this once. For the rest of your life you will know what exact model you have and what you can expect. If you specify, also others here know, which makes it easier to give precise answers. Carb numbers and color codes are also there. For the correct wire diagram you need the 'area code' also found in those pages.
You may find this interactive site also helpful: http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/wiring500.html

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2020, 11:41:05 AM »
Thank you for that, I’ll add it to my home screen! Currently trying to re solder the starter button, didn’t make it through the throttle cable replacement....

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2020, 03:11:24 PM »
Today’s not gone so good, caliper is buggered so going to have to splash out on a new one. Don’t ask, partly my fault but partly too corroded too..
So I cheered myself up with a bit of instant bling!

Before:

After:

Snap on pipe covers

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2020, 04:05:44 PM »
 Whats wrong with caliper?

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2020, 04:30:42 PM »
Got the pad jammed in, tried pumping it out.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2020, 05:00:01 PM »
Use a grease gun they will come out, if not sure post it to me and i will refurb it

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2020, 05:40:09 PM »
Ahh...sticky brake pistons .... how much fun I had with mine!

In the end, I resorted to a blowtorch.

With the caliper off, but still connected up to a master cylinder, I applied heat around the piston and around the area where the seal was hiding. Once I got it hot....I pumped on the lever...and the thing moved. Soon as it cooled...it was rock solid again.... so I repeated the process until the piston finally released.

Ther ewas a bit of corrosion to clean up in the caliper around the bore.....but once I had got it fettled...all was good.

The piston is in the bin. I had corroded around where the seal had been sat for how ever many years...and would chew up any new seal.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2020, 07:44:57 AM »
It’s the pad that’s jammed, not the piston :-( I couldn’t get the split pin out so I pushed a bit too hard to pass it. I fitted the caliper to the brake lines and bled it and even strapped the lever full on and left it but won’t budge. Working when I was too tired I made a mistake....

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2020, 08:25:08 AM »
I bet grease will shift it

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2020, 02:12:29 PM »
might be a silly question but you have split the caliper in half by taking out the two bolts?

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
UK 500 fixer upper
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2020, 08:49:48 AM »
Yeah the caliper was torn right down. Put it in a box for now, more serious troubles!
Had a good day yesterday doing the wiring, decided to look at the snapped manifold studs. I was waiting to get the bike off the lift as the Dunstall pipes can’t come off whilst it’s on there (they fully wrap around the sump).
Sealey stud remover couldn’t get on the outside no4 stud but with a blow torch and lock nuts I got it off first go, so I did outside 3 stud which was snapped, same result, full of confidence I decided be sensible do all 8, first 6 were fine, inside 3 was tricky, inside 2 was really struggling. Ultimately after all the efforts that is the one that sheared just below the surface. Taking time out to think of the best solution - try and extract it or go straight to Helicoil?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal