Author Topic: Engine shop recommendations West Yorkshire  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: Engine shop recommendations West Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2020, 10:25:15 PM »
I agree with Ash, be very careful of engineering firms who undertake rebores on Jap bikes. I had an engine rebored and advised the engineer of the Honda specification for the piston to bore clearance. The engineer rebored the barrel oversize. When I asked why he told me the piston would sieze if he bored the barrel to the Honda spec! Result: the engine used so much oil so quickly it siezed! I had to find another barrel, a new piston, rebuild the crank, new con-rod and regrind of the cam as a result. I went to another company to get the rebore the second time! A very expensive lesson.
I have never personally used Trigger but I would have no hesitation to do so in the future, he knows these engines better than anyone else.
Good luck with your quest to buy a sohc, you won't be disappointed 👍.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline WestYorkshireBiker

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 05:04:58 AM »
I agree with Ash, be very careful of engineering firms who undertake rebores on Jap bikes. I had an engine rebored and advised the engineer of the Honda specification for the piston to bore clearance. The engineer rebored the barrel oversize. When I asked why he told me the piston would sieze if he bored the barrel to the Honda spec! Result: the engine used so much oil so quickly it siezed! I had to find another barrel, a new piston, rebuild the crank, new con-rod and regrind of the cam as a result. I went to another company to get the rebore the second time! A very expensive lesson.
I have never personally used Trigger but I would have no hesitation to do so in the future, he knows these engines better than anyone else.
Good luck with your quest to buy a sohc, you won't be disappointed .
Thanks Dave. Very useful to know all this. Sounds like you had a nightmare with yours !!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

OW MUCH????????????

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 07:56:41 AM »
And if anyone recommend a certain shop in Sheffield with the initials SS stay a mile away.
Don't ask how I know but Trigger ended up putting it right first class work and his broom makes a lovely sausage sarni  :o ;D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline WestYorkshireBiker

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2020, 08:01:02 AM »
Sounds like I'll get in touch with Trigger if needed then. Thanks for all the info guys/gals. Now all I need to do is buy the bloody bike!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

OW MUCH????????????

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2020, 08:15:44 AM »
See if James has one, may cost you more but it will be right

Offline pkrich

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2020, 01:25:58 PM »