Author Topic: Clutch pull still very hard...  (Read 3807 times)

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch pull still very hard...
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2020, 07:32:15 AM »
I can get 1mtr of 2mm inner with black 6mm outer a nd outer ferrules for about £6.00gbp to me.
Would have to get the correct nipples for ends(need sizes) and need length of outer plus "free length" of inner.

This is NOT lined inner or outer so would need lubing ocasionaly but should work

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2020, 09:49:11 AM »
Now years back in UK you could buy cable inner, outer and brass end fittings to make your own. Would you like me to see if i can get the stuff and ship to you?

That's most kind of you Bryan - but not yet.  That may be a viable option through Venhill here in the USA... and not too expensive.  Just gotta learn how to solder a cable end...

https://www.venhillusa.com/venhill-universal-motorcycle-clutch-cable-kit.html

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2020, 11:57:35 AM »
Thats where the fun starts, you have to birdsnest the ends and usualy use a small gas torch not iron

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2020, 12:19:21 PM »
Thats where the fun starts, you have to birdsnest the ends and usualy use a small gas torch not iron
Solder dipping pot best if you can get hold of one keeps the heat down on the components. :D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2020, 04:59:58 PM »

Do you mean to tell me that the fun hasn't actually started yet?!?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2020, 06:02:23 PM »
I've often made the end nipples from genuine brass wood screw shanks (you have to be careful using them types of word  ;D)

Just get the right size outside barrel dimensions and you can drill and file to shape before soldering.  It's easier soldering to clean brass as well.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2020, 10:41:29 PM »
I take it that you have examined the clutch basket and springs, on my rebuild there was deep grooves in the fingers of the clutch basket that made the action difficult, I obtained a used replacement that has helped. Assuming all adjustments are correct, have you got the correct springs, have you measured them. Also, I route the cable through an eyelett as per the routing guide it didn't have one when I bought the bike.

So I don't have a clutch nut removal tool - I'll either have to buy or make one.  But I removed the springs and found that all the plates slide freely in and out a few mm... does this tell you anything about whether there might be grooves tightening things up further in when I actuate the clutch lever?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2020, 01:38:10 PM »
The plates only have to move literally less than 0.5mm each to effect a release, sounds ok to me.

The most movement is at the first clamp plate that the springs enact upon as that has to move to give the total cumulative distance for the clutch pack to rotate freely.

I feel notches generally give problems with drive takup as opposed to lever operation,  as if a single plate "hangs" a bit on a notch,  it first makes it slip,  followed by the clutch grabbing faster as it pings off its resistance to fully close. Not convinced this will make it heavy to use.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2020, 01:55:34 PM »
The plates only have to move literally less than 0.5mm each to effect a release, sounds ok to me.

The most movement is at the first clamp plate that the springs enact upon as that has to move to give the total cumulative distance for the clutch pack to rotate freely.

I feel notches generally give problems with drive takup as opposed to lever operation,  as if a single plate "hangs" a bit on a notch,  it first makes it slip,  followed by the clutch grabbing faster as it pings off its resistance to fully close. Not convinced this will make it heavy to use.

Thanks!  I'm just going to oil up all the inner release workings and put it back together for now.  Hopefully when it runs and the oil circulates after a few years of sitting, things will loosen up.

I've got a new clutch cover gasket on the way - the old one shredded to random pieces which stuck like glue to both sealing faces (no adhesive actually used, I don't think).  Cleaning off the engine face was just awful, very difficult to get in some of those tight spots and scrape off.  I wonder if trying to saturate the remnants with some sort of solvent would have helped?

I'll be lightly greasing the replacement gasket so that doesn't happen again...

Offline robvangulik

• SOHC Member
  • Honda Fourever
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2020, 06:33:01 PM »
So I don't have a clutch nut removal tool - I'll either have to buy or make one
That's very easy to make...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2020, 06:38:15 PM »
So I don't have a clutch nut removal tool - I'll either have to buy or make one
That's very easy to make...

That looks even easier than what I was going to do!  I was going to find a piece of pipe the right ID and grind one end to fit the nut, drill a hole in the other end to receive a tommy bar of whatever length I need.

I like the idea of something that takes a square drive, though - I can use it in an impact tool to rattle the nut loose if need be...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal