Author Topic: Clutch pull still very hard...  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch pull still very hard...
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2020, 03:08:12 PM »
Have you tried ring Dave Silver and talking to them explaining your problem, i have always had good service there

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2020, 03:15:22 PM »
Have you tried ring Dave Silver and talking to them explaining your problem, i have always had good service there

No, I simply went to their website and found no listing for it.  It's a good idea, though... when I inquired about their out-of-stock reproduction silencer, they gave me a future delivery date, but then got back to me saying they had a discounted "scratch-and-dent" one on the shelf, which was perfect for my needs.

I suppose the next logical question is, if original Honda isn't available, is there a particular aftermarket brand that's known to be reliable?

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2020, 03:30:33 PM »

No, I simply went to their website and found no listing for it.  It's a good idea, though... when I inquired about their out-of-stock reproduction silencer, they gave me a future delivery date, but then got back to me saying they had a discounted "scratch-and-dent" one on the shelf, which was perfect for my needs.

I suppose the next logical question is, if original Honda isn't available, is there a particular aftermarket brand that's known to be reliable?

Venhills are generally good quality. I have some SlinkyGlide cables on my bike (can't remember which ones!) and they work fine, good action.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2020, 03:34:41 PM »

Venhills are generally good quality. I have some SlinkyGlide cables on my bike (can't remember which ones!) and they work fine, good action.

Thanks!  I suppose I should ask on the American forum as well, since UK suppliers probably cost too much to ship.  I see there's a Venhill-USA site...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2020, 04:00:04 PM »
Dont forget Silvers now has a US warehouse so may be able to get you one easier

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2020, 04:01:16 PM »

Yes, thanks!  The US location supplied that silencer...

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2020, 11:26:12 AM »
Y'know Matt, it might be easier to locate someone who makes 'bespoke' bowden cables for the likes of choppers/cafe racers etc. Let them have the adjusters and/or other end fittings, length required, and some will give you a choice of cable materials, teflon lined or otherwise outers. Think outside the box my friend. Regards, Mick.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2020, 12:13:40 PM »
For the most potential in reduced friction and consistent longevity,  I'd choose stainless wire,  running in nylon sleeve and lubrication with silicone oil.  Venhill should be able to supply this for you,  but may need the lower end fitment from Honda's cable to match spec.

Venhill have been around here for years, located near me in Dorking village as I've visited over the years to get cables made.

Offline billywingnut

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2020, 06:06:26 PM »
I take it that you have examined the clutch basket and springs, on my rebuild there was deep grooves in the fingers of the clutch basket that made the action difficult, I obtained a used replacement that has helped. Assuming all adjustments are correct, have you got the correct springs, have you measured them. Also, I route the cable through an eyelett as per the routing guide it didn't have one when I bought the bike.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2020, 01:34:52 AM »

FYI - from an email I just got from David Silver's USA outlet: "Sorry to inform you today.  The cable you require is not in our stock and now discontinued by all other suppliers."  Actually, that's the whole email - sounds like a dead end to me...

Regarding getting custom cables made - thanks for the suggestion, I've already considered it and am investigating.  I have the old rusty cable that came on the bike, and the replacement which is identical in every dimension, so no problem with measuring up for a new cable.

Venhill makes a universal kit which would require trimming a cover and soldering a barrel on one end.  Never done that before, but I'm sure it can be done!

I take it that you have examined the clutch basket and springs, on my rebuild there was deep grooves in the fingers of the clutch basket that made the action difficult, I obtained a used replacement that has helped. Assuming all adjustments are correct, have you got the correct springs, have you measured them. Also, I route the cable through an eyelett as per the routing guide it didn't have one when I bought the bike.

No, I haven't.  Worth a look, I guess, since the cover's already off!  I wonder if any special tools are required...

FWIW - I rode the bike 5 years ago, and the clutch was fine.  Over the two years after that, the PO added just 300 miles.  Then it sat for 3 more years.  I can't imagine that the clutch parts got that worn that quickly, but anything is possible and anyway that's an assumption based on no experience or knowledge.

The cable is routed correctly through the eyelet...

Offline rosco

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2020, 08:55:35 AM »
CMNSL are doing clutch cables

Offline rosco

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2020, 08:58:26 AM »
DOH!!!!!!! CMSNL

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2020, 09:32:18 AM »
Not the 22870-377-710 number, they say temporarily unavailable

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2020, 09:38:47 AM »
Putting the part number in ebay shows 1 in Aus and 1 in US but i dont think either is genuine Silver says discontinued

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal