Author Topic: My CB550 K3 Restore Project  (Read 13359 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: My CB550 K3 Restore Project
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2020, 05:49:44 PM »
It is always a false economy not replacing the primary rubbers, the chain wears out in half the time.
Coming together nicely  ;)

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2020, 06:29:51 PM »
Thanks Trigger I am glad I waited for them to arrive.

Pistons and cylinder block back on, used new rings and gudgeon clips.

Then got the engine back in the frame whilst it is still relatively light, did the frame over the engine thing which worked really well and I didn't scratch the frame!
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

One of those bottles of Yellow Tail has my name on it tonight!

Using all new nice shiny fixings -

Finish off cylinder head next and get the rest of the engine assembled

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2020, 09:26:35 PM »
Thanks Trigger I am glad I waited for them to arrive.

Pistons and cylinder block back on, used new rings and gudgeon clips.

Then got the engine back in the frame whilst it is still relatively light, did the frame over the engine thing which worked really well and I didn't scratch the frame!
(Attachment Link)

One of those bottles of Yellow Tail has my name on it tonight!

Using all new nice shiny fixings -
(Attachment Link)

Finish off cylinder head next and get the rest of the engine assembled

Wow that's a "better than new" looking engine in your photos - very nice.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2020, 05:57:35 PM »
Moving along nicely, rebuilt the head with a light lapping and a good clean on the valves which were thick with crud, fitted new stem seals etc.

Fitted the head and torqued up all the bolts then put the camshaft and sprocket in place being careful with positioning, set timing at 15' ATDC.

Re-assembled the rocker cover and bolted in place after backing off all the adjusters then did an initial clearance check. Did a few revolutions just to check everything moved freely. Also fitted the oil strainer and sump.

So this is where I am at -

Tomorrow I am going to fit the alternator, starter motor and clutch so the engine will be back together.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2020, 12:00:25 PM »
Looking fantastic.  What are you going to use for a shaving mirror now that you've fitted the rocker cover :D
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2020, 11:22:34 PM »
 :)

Shaving is ok but I have had to declare it to my insurance company as a possible threat to other road users due to the blinding effect of the sun or driving lights. Reminds me of my mates Lambretta in the 70's it had so many mirrors if you caught the sun at a certain angle your retina's were scorched beyond repair.

Seriously I know this isn't to everyone's taste and it certainly isn't I guess a 'restore' in the truest sense but considering how the bike looked before I think its a great improvement. I am not seeking 'originality' just to make a nice 1970's look and feel bike that is reliable and fun to ride without the trendy cafe racer look.

Finished up the core components of the engine today, I absolutely love the shape of Japanese engines from this period -

Unfortunately that is it for a while, I have a whole house to decorate and spruce up ready for selling in the new year and moving on now that the kids have moved out, would love to get her finished but needs must.

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2020, 05:26:15 PM »
Got fed up of painting, decorating, tiling, floor refinishing, plumbing, electrics etc so decided to do some more on the 550 -

I serviced the carbs a while back so just polished the tops and float bowls and got them fitted. What a job it is getting them in place but managed without scratching any of the newly painted stuff -

Got the airbox painted and fitted the intake duct came up well -

Battery box painted and fitted -

Rear swing arm in place together with some nice new TEC shocks which are excellent value for money, thanks to this forum for pointing them out. Also fitted the main stand and new spring, found it easier to fit the spring first then drive in the pivot pin -

Next up is to think about getting her on wheels. I intend to buy new rims and spokes and have a go at lacing myself after reading all the post on the subject, not something I have done before so it will be a challenge.

Offline smoothoperator

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2020, 06:47:08 PM »
I'm very much in awe of your rebuild and the standard of finish is stunning. Can I ask please what paints you used for your frame?
Steve
2017 Triumph Bonneville T100
1977 Honda 400 Four Restored April 2022

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2020, 07:25:49 PM »
@heli_madken

looking awsome... keep going  8)
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2020, 12:17:44 AM »
Can I ask please what paints you used for your frame?

Thanks for your comment. The paint is by a company called Jawel - https://www.jawel.co.uk/ I use their 2K super black gloss which goes on really nice and flats out wonderfully so no need for any further polishing. It is a 2K paint though so air fed mask is essential. It is quite flexible, doesnt chip easily and is very durable.

Their 2K primer is also very nice to use but does need to be scuffed before applying the black, for this I use Farecla G-Scuff which is perfect for working on a frame

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2020, 03:12:38 PM »
My next target is to get the bike on its wheels so I have started ordering bits and getting everything apart, cleaned and ready.

The existing rims are DID and I had hoped to rescue them, the surfaces where badly scratched from tyre iron use and very heavily corroded but I had considered getting them chromed. However when I took the tyres off the PO had used half a roll of duct tape instead of rim tape and as a result water had collected inside the wheel underneath the tape and both rims where almost rusted through. So I have new rims and spokes on order from Central wheel. You can see how bad the front wheel is in the photo below -

With the spokes removed I could remove the old bearings and do my usual polishing. The retainer was well and truly corroded into place but I was able to get it out by drilling a couple of holes and prying it out with an old wood chisel - The hub was very badly pitted but I was able to get it presentable with the use of wet and dry and lots of elbow grease. Pleased to have got it to this stage from what it was in the picture above. I can fit the new bearings and seal now -

The rear hub is also going to be a challenge! -

The headlamp ears have me perplexed, both are very badly corroded -

I can get them presentable with some very heavy polishing -

But the back is a dead loss. Both of them have some damage which you can see towards the headlamp mount which will be very difficult to repair due to the double skin nature of the parts so I am a bit reluctant to get them chromed.

Looked for a while for some replacements in better condition but so far no luck, CMS have one side new but there isnt much point buying just one especially for the price.

I guess I could polish the fronts and spray the inner side with something, perhaps silver or try to find a decent chrome spray, any ideas?

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2020, 03:40:44 PM »
Soak those rusted parts in EvapoRust. I have used it on worse stuff than that and they came out rust free. Then polish and wax to keep the rust from coming back.
The Rust Brothers Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB550 K0
1975 Honda CB400F Super Sport
1979 Honda CB750F Super Sport
1980 Suzuki GS1100E
1982 Honda CB900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB1100F
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
2006 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2020, 04:16:34 PM »
Could you not get them brazed up and then polish the braze before chroming.
Would be very difficult to see that position when they were fitted.

Regards,
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2020, 04:58:38 PM »
That is less than normal corrosion in that place

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2020, 11:35:17 AM »
Thanks for your help, I guess the best thing to do would be to take them to a plater for advice, can anyone recommend one in the north west?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal