Author Topic: Odd rev counter behaviour - suggestions  (Read 407 times)

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
Odd rev counter behaviour - suggestions
« on: June 22, 2020, 12:42:47 PM »
Afternoon

Spanking NOS rev counter fitted to replace the incorrect one previously fitted - the latter I suspect not accurate at much anything above idle :)

Now I was the first to accept that my bike wasn't set up well enough to red line at will ...... seems I was doing it a disservice :)

I have noticed that the counter seems to stop around 5k and even when the bike seems to be revving rear maximum it stays there ... unless you are extending the time at high revs - then it jumps up to 7/8k

So today I paid attention to engine sound v rev counter and yep - sticks at 5k for what seems an age before registering, what I presume, is the correct revs

An added feature is that if you wait and are suddenly registering say 7k .... if you keep it at this the counter then drops to 5k and wavers then between 5/6k .... even though the engine is still doing the initial registered 7k.

So - I haven't done anything yet to cable / bit where it goes in to the engine as I thought I would wait for some pointers - perhaps it is a known feature to someone :)

Hope that makes sense !!

Thanks

Simon

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
Re: Odd rev counter behaviour - suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 01:08:01 PM »
Further testing shows that stationary - it will register correctly and move smoothly all the way

It was missing the metal spacers to bolt to the housing that work with the rubber mount bit ... I've swapped them over from the speedo which were present 

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
Re: Odd rev counter behaviour - suggestions
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 01:16:24 PM »
Tested and working fine ...... :)  revs round to red without and problem and no wavering about

Found an old thread where it was said the rev counters needed good dampening when subject to vibration - or thats how I read it :)

So will order some new rubber mount grommets and a couple of the spacers I'm missing 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal