Author Topic: Anyone used ABS Slurry to fix side panels etc  (Read 34 times)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Anyone used ABS Slurry to fix side panels etc
« on: Today at 09:28:38 AM »
Someone on the CB250RS Facebook closed group suggested I try ABS slurry to fix cracks and broken mounting lugs on plastic side panels etc.
I thought back to the 90's, when I couldn't buy the correct angle guttering joints for my 1030's house and some old sage where I was working at the time (who had an immaculate BSA Gold Flash Combo) cut a section out of one to reduce the angle and bonded it back together at my required  angle with a paste made up out of the waste material dissolved in MEK. They bonded beautifully and are still on my old house when I went past earlier this year.

Has anyone tried this? I guess the panel materials will have changed over the years. I think the 250RS panels are ABS but I seem to remember my 750K0 panels and airbox were made from some form of styrene. But I guess the theory is the same... dissolve a piece of the same material in a suitable solvent and use that to repair the panel.

This what the FB guy said: Quote :  "Google abs slurry,,, and make some .... glue it on with it ,then build it up round the crack ( takes a day or two to fully cure) permanent fix ... I  glued 2 halves of a panel together with it .... you could bend it as much as the parent material , it doesn't glue, it bonds. I have tried epoxy, fibreglass glues, nothing does it like abs slurry"

https://www.matterhackers.com/news/how-to-make-abs-juice-glue-and-slurry

« Last Edit: Today at 09:30:26 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone used ABS Slurry to fix side panels etc
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:40:59 AM »
Only reason i can think of it not to work is if the plastic was"de natured" by uv light(cant think of another waybto say that)

Online cbxman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:13:59 AM »
Ash,

Floplast do an MEK pot with brush to fit their plastic pipe stuff together. Get it B&Q I used some spare I had recently to repair a plastic door hook.  Keep the top on tight...it evaporates really quickly.

Jerry
CB750 K1 1971 Wisconsin, USA
Suzuki GT550 J 1972 Michigan USA
CB360 G5 1975 UK
CBX1000 A 1980 (European Direct Sales)
CB1300 A5, 2005 UK

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:16:25 AM »
Only reason i can think of it not to work is if the plastic was"de natured" by uv light(cant think of another waybto say that)

Good point that Bryan ...on late 60's early 70s panels the plastic goes really brittle.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal