Author Topic: Metal Covered Plug Caps  (Read 28 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Metal Covered Plug Caps
« on: Today at 10:18:41 AM »
My UK 750K0, CB400F & 450K0 Bomber all came originally with metal plug caps.

Much maligned on here I know but for originality I am fitting them. I managed to get NOS ND ones for my 4 cylinder bikes  but the Bomber ones are hard to come by. also one of my NOS 4-cyl ones got badly damaged with acid. So this week I managed to de-crimp the corroded one and replated a grotty looking Bomber one. Pretty sure my CB250K0's and K2 would have had them but not found any of those yet.

I plan to do some tests on them to see why they tracked over the HT in the wet. It's not obvious looking at them why they would track. I suspect the rubber insert may not have sealed too well but a new part moulded in silicone may fix it. A lot of heathen dealers (like the one who supplied my 1st 400F ) just ripped the metal covers off and damaged the grey plastic body in the process.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Covered Plug Caps
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:33:26 AM »
That type of plug cap was  also fitted to the Opel Rekord (D) Coupes back in 1973 I was drivng one down to Cornwall for our sumer holiday when the car dropped onto 3 cylinders in heavy traffic. Being an automatic it was it was almost undriveable.

One of those caps had failed plus the leads were the then quite new carbon fibre typ leads - I used a Nappy pin to replace the cap - it worked a treat.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:44:42 AM »
That type of plug cap was  also fitted to the Opel Rekord (D) Coupes back in 1973 I was drivng one down to Cornwall for our sumer holiday when the car dropped onto 3 cylinders in heavy traffic. Being an automatic it was it was almost undriveable.

One of those caps had failed plus the leads were the then quite new carbon fibre typ leads - I used a Nappy pin to replace the cap - it worked a treat.

There are plenty of other people fitting them to our bikes Ted for originality ... I bought 5 sets of each cheap and kept one of each set for myself and sold the rest on eBay. They didn't hang around for long  before being sold ! My 500K0 didn't have them as it is a 1st batch USA (squared off crankcase) bike and they were never fitted in the US. The 500 ones (fitted to UK and European bikes)  are the same as the 400F ones.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:13:48 AM »
When I lived in Toronto I bought a new Suzuki GT500 in 1977 which had galvanised metal shrouds on the spark plugs. It was a great bike but it suffered an intermittent misfire. The Suzuki Dealer had it back a couple of times to try and cure it, but he said 'all was well'. Eventually I told the Dealer that if it didn't get sorted out I'd be taking legal action to get my money back. After a couple of days, the Dealer told me that he'd tried everything but couldn't find the problem and so he left the bike running in the garage..........and as it was in a dark corner he then noticed the arcing from the plug shrouds to the cylinder head......Eureka ! The shrouds were cut off !

The bike ran like a dream after that and I rode it across Canada and the USA covering 6,000 miles in three weeks - and it never missed a beat.

No doubt you'll sort out your OEM shrouds Ash.......but at least you'll know where the fault lies if you do suffer a misfire.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal