SOHC.co.uk Forums > Anorak's Corner

Tap n die set recommendations

<< < (5/7) > >>

davefirestorm:
Recall a cancer scare Regards Rocol way back in 80s but formula changed and they retained the horrendous pong too ,I have a tin of Trefolex obtained years ago which I use spareingly when tapping brings back memories of Tech college when doing apprenticeship 😁

mike the bike:
I find that the sets are half full of stuff that you'll never ever use.  It's probably best to invest in individual, good quality taps in the sizes that you'll need.  And make a box for them.

Rob62:
Avoid carbon steel, go for hss (high speed steel)....

Moorey:
Trefolex is still readily available. A tin at home will last forever.  ;)

jshonda:
With taps and dies, you get what you pay for. Go for known brands like Warrior, Presto, etc. They must be HSS, and slpit diesso you can 'fernurgle' a thread as required, Buy as you require or you will be paying for tools you don't use (trust me, I have tools people have never even heard of). Over the years my collection of t's & d's include metric course, up tp 25mm, many metric fine up to 26mm, bsf, bsp, whitworth, unc, unf, ba, and a full set of Venezuelan Beaver's Trap thread! (and many specials,some l/hand thread). Yup, a man can't live without taps and dies!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version