New E10/5 fuel

(1/5) > >>

Johnwebley:
As the new petrol has added oxygen.
Do we need to enrich the mixture?

Guessing raise the needle one groove.

Maybe that is enough

Or hotter running plug.7 to an 8.

I would like comments from the clever guys.
Those far knowledgeable than me.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Bryanj:
Doubt it, aparently bigger problem will be starting

Johnwebley:

--- Quote from: Bryanj on July 04, 2020, 08:54:41 AM ---Doubt it, aparently bigger problem will be starting

--- End quote ---

I understood  E10 is 10% biofuel,so in a litre 900cc is petrol,100cc is ethanol,
ethanol is oxygen rich,so it will help the burn,and already have 10% less petrol in the mixture

should we consider maybe increasing the main jet? and lifting the needle one slot ?

not to worried about the 500,but the 200 ,and my 125 RD twin both seem sencetive .

and it looks like we loose a few horses as well,

Oggie400F:
The attached article from the latest Honda Owners Club magazine suggests that "older engines run better on ethanol blended fuels".

However there are other the issues to consider regarding rotting of some rubbers and plastics as well as the corrosive nature on metals if any moisture is present in the fuel system.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvwblhhg0mc9qxa/Ethanol%20Fuel%20Issues.pdf?dl=0

The article relates to a book: Classic Engines, Modern Fuel - The Problems, The Solutions.  I was interested in getting a copy to help me get to sleep 😴 but it must be popular because it appears to be sold out in all the places I've looked. 

gtmdriver:
I am the Technical Editor for Complete Kitcar Magazine and a few years ago I researched and wrote an article n the problems and solutions for the E5 fuel which was just being introduced at the time. Obviously with the introduction of E10 fuel these problems will be exacerbated.

There will be a slight weakening effect due to the extra oxygen included in the fuel mix but at 10% ethanol the standard settings should still be OK. The bigger problems are the corrosive effects of the oxidation and hydration products of the ethanol on metals and the way it attacks the elastomers in the O rings and flexible fuel lines. These effects will be even worse in vehicles stored for longer periods of time.

The FHVBC, at around the same time, did some independent research into the commercial fuel additives supposed to combat the harmful effects of the ethanol on the metallic components. Not surprisingly many of them were completely ineffective but they did find a handful that worked. This information is still available on their website.

Personally I use Ethomix from Frost Restoration and I drain the fuel system before I lay my bike up for the winter. These additives only protect the metal parts so you also need to look for biofuel compatible rubber hoses too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version