SOHC.co.uk Forums > Anorak's Corner

New E10/5 fuel

<< < (4/5) > >>

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: Rob62 on July 05, 2020, 06:59:38 PM ---Personally I avoid regular fuel like the plague.... premium fuel for your classic is the easiest way to avoid 10% ethanol.....for the time being at least.

--- End quote ---

Me I only buy Super Unleaded as I always do until they fiddle with that as well. Apparently there is a loss of economy using E10 so it seems an odd way to reduce emissions.

jshonda:
Ethanol has a higher octane rating than petrol, it burns cooler and completely, as it is an 'oxygenate' (the fuel contains oxygen molecules.). It also has a lower energy content, around 30% less than petrol, and it should make an engine run more smoothly, but slower and do fewer mpg.
Good for destroying rubber components in the fuel system, especially old bikes!
Ethanol is cheaper to produce than petrol, but we never see reduce prices at the pump!

Skoti:
As far as fuel hose goes I find that the only stuff that seems to be ethanol proof is the genuine Honda stuff that DS sells.

It's also the correct inside diameter of 5.5mm for our bikes and has the right wall thickness to prevent kinking when routing around the carbs etc.

It's not cheap though.

https://www.davidsilverspares.com/950015500160M

The same stuff is standard fitment on my Honda lawn tractor, which I suppose is intended to be ethanol proof for todays fuel.

Hope this helps

Regards

Skoti

Nurse Julie:
All the pipe we buy from Planet Silicone holds up very well to modern fuels and its really cheap from them. We have also been upgrading all O rings in the carbs to Viton for a long time now and no problems there either.

Skoti:
Hi Julie,

thanks for posting the tip regarding cheaper fuel hose and carb viton 0 rings.

I previously tried 6mm silicone/neoprene based hose from Louis Motorrad (which wasn't cheap) but is was supposed to be ethanol proof.

After a couple of years it turned rock hard and I had to cut it off the fuel tap fitting with a stanley knife.

Turned out that it was only rated for use up to temps of 100°c.  I've noticed it's no longer stocked by Louis.

Do you have a supplier for the correct size viton 0 rings for the float bowl drain plugs?

regards

Skoti   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version