SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

Thread repairs

<< < (2/2)

Bryanj:
Used Keenserts for years, they are way stronger than helicoils and easier to fit BUT do need plenty of surrounding metal as for 6mm stud/bolt you are tapping out to 10mm.

You need to be carefull wherever you fit inserts that if the hole is a "through" hole and the inside has liquid oil you can get an oil leak down the threads so the insert needs to have the outer threads sealed and prferably a stud inserted again with thread sealer

Andy1976:
Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna have a go myself, so I've ordered the m6 helicoil kit from a local tool shop.

Andy

Spitfire:
Just a thought, how bad are your threads, I cross threaded one of my rocker cover bolts changing them to Allen screws when the bike was new (1976 CB750F1), I got away with using a tap to re cut the threads and it's still OK now.

Cheers

Den

Andy1976:
Hi Den, the threads are well mashed, I don't think re tapping will do it.

Andy

hector2800:
don't try and tap the thread all at once turn the tap back a full turn every so often or it can jam and snap and then you're in to a completely different ball game. You may know this already but I thought I ought to mention it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version