Author Topic: K1 full restoration begins  (Read 7320 times)

Offline WestYorkshireBiker

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: K1 full restoration begins
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2020, 10:01:15 PM »

Note: Drawn by Ashimoto , Checked S.B. Devotion  ;D

(Attachment Link)
Awesome!! Thanks Ash

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

OW MUCH????????????

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2020, 09:31:25 AM »
Bit more 'progress' on the old girl. Was thinking about the engine and how to paint it. Once stripped down do you vapour blast first I guess. But what was the factory paint on the engine. I'm keeping her as factory as I can tbh. Thanks.

OW MUCH????????????

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2020, 11:29:02 AM »
Never vapour blast a engine, you will be asking for trouble using vapour as it contains glass bead.

I build engines for a living and have found the best way is a acid dip that has chemicals suited to cast alloy  ;) 

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2020, 11:40:55 AM »
A nice looking project.. do you get over to squires cafe? Plenty of nice old jap bikes to look at on a thursday eve through the summer

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2020, 11:42:18 AM »
Never vapour blast a engine, you will be asking for trouble using vapour as it contains glass bead.

I build engines for a living and have found the best way is a acid dip that has chemicals suited to cast alloy  ;)
Thanks Trig. I read about this and honestly wasn't sure what's best. I've got the origional K1 which came with the bike. So the engine ,(K6) in the frame is being replaced. One of the K1 linings is cracked (not stripped it down yet so don't know what else is wrong). Is it Ok if I pm you at some point in the future as I'll be needing your services etc. Thanks.

OW MUCH????????????

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2020, 11:43:49 AM »
A nice looking project.. do you get over to squires cafe? Plenty of nice old jap bikes to look at on a thursday eve through the summer
Never been but planning to. I've an 'modern' SV650 so thought of popping over.

OW MUCH????????????

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2020, 11:51:10 AM »

Any day is a good day to visit squires...but thurs night is classic bike night and there is loads to see....japs, british... italian... def worth a visit, you’ll be hooked once you’ve been  :D

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2020, 11:55:28 AM »

Any day is a good day to visit squires...but thurs night is classic bike night and there is loads to see....japs, british... italian... def worth a visit, you’ll be hooked once you’ve been  :D
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

OW MUCH????????????

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2020, 12:24:50 PM »

Thanks Trig. I read about this and honestly wasn't sure what's best. I've got the origional K1 which came with the bike. So the engine ,(K6) in the frame is being replaced. One of the K1 linings is cracked (not stripped it down yet so don't know what else is wrong). Is it Ok if I pm you at some point in the future as I'll be needing your services etc. Thanks.

The K6 to K1 barrels and liners are not interchangeable and the head is different. You will see the differences once you have the engines stripped so, keep all engine parts separate, one on one side of the workshop and the other on the other side ;)

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2020, 12:29:56 PM »

The K6 to K1 barrels and liners are not interchangeable and the head is different. You will see the differences once you have the engines stripped so, keep all engine parts separate, one on one side of the workshop and the other on the other side ;)
Didn't think so. Already got two spaces in the garage for K1 and K6. Ta pal.

OW MUCH????????????

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2020, 01:32:40 PM »
So I found these marks when cleaning the K1 head. The head came separately from the bike (as did the engine) but is this machinable or scrap! Thanks.

OW MUCH????????????

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2020, 01:48:18 PM »
A head skim and those valve seats need a regrind, also check the valve guides . Are you sure it is a K1 head ?

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2020, 01:52:21 PM »
A head skim and those valve seats need a regrind, also check the valve guides . Are you sure it is a K1 head ?
It just came with the original engine in bits as the bike has a K6 in it. The bike is a 1971 but not sure tbh. What else will show if it's a K1 or not?

OW MUCH????????????

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2020, 02:32:23 PM »
It just came with the original engine in bits as the bike has a K6 in it. The bike is a 1971 but not sure tbh. What else will show if it's a K1 or not?

Head and barrels are different on a K1 to K6  ;)

Show me a picture of the head side on and the top face and a front, top and side picture of the barrels and i will tell you if they are K1.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal