Author Topic: Brake master - wrong one?  (Read 673 times)

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Brake master - wrong one?
« on: July 11, 2020, 01:18:54 PM »
Have I got the wrong master cylinder? Try as a might I cannot get it bled onto the new caliper. Still pulls back onto the grip when squeezed hard. According to the replacement I’ve found at Legend MCs the 4 master is scalloped to fit over the bar. I had to use the straight hose end to get the pipe clearance and I can’t fit the bars at the dot to set them straight, had to tilt them back. Also my clocks may have been moved to fit the ign switch which I’ve now moved..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Brake master - wrong one?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 02:34:21 PM »
That's the correct one for a 500 K0 - K1 and the same as mine which works fine. Picture from CMSNL, part number 45500-341-671.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 02:58:15 PM »
That is the correct M/C. Have you fitted a new service kit ? Is the return hole clear ?

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 03:20:18 PM »
I can’t see any hydraulic issues, it’s not fully draining unless I purge it (10 or so fast pulls with nipple shut, then hold, release, drain, tighten).
Got a new bleeder coming tomorrow I’ll have another go!

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 01:10:43 PM »
Interesting to try to purge from bleed nipple back up to master cylinder! I haven’t tried this method but no reason why it doesn’t work and saves on any bleeding, big syringe required! NURSE!!!
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline mickandsej

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 02:40:14 PM »
Bought a pattern master from DSS, at £30 it’s a cheap way of getting back on the road, I’ll look at this one later on.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 04:57:28 PM »
For bleeding,  I use small bore rubber pipe to fit nipple,  about 500mm long (so that you can easily put it in the jam jar on the floor,  remove jam first else it'll taste funny  ;D) block the open end with a bolt pushed in, cut a 25mm long slit along the pipe about 50mm up from the bottom, then just open the nipple 1/4 turn and pump the lever one after another (don't close valve) but keep topping up the mc.

You'll hear the air when it gets all the way through as it bubbles through the fluid in the jam jar, system should be purged when you hear no more air, lock off nipple as you slowly pull lever.

It works really well, I use it on car systems solo without any problem too.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 05:15:50 PM »
I've always found these easy to bleed, (I have a series IIa Land Rover, now that is a pain to do).  I just do it the long way, a tube from the nipple to a jar with some fluid already in, open nipple, pull lever, close nipple, release lever, repeat, lots of times but it never takes very long.  I've tried bleed contraptions of various types, always waste more time than they save.

I don't know if it makes bleeding easier but I no longer have the standard bleed nipple.  A friendly engineer made me a combined banjo and bleed nipple out of stainless steel, absolutley brilliant and has been good for the last 25 years.  The original bleed nipple snapped off in the caliper body, as they always do.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 06:05:32 PM »
"(I have a series IIa Land Rover, now that is a pain to do).  "

That's what I made the pipe for originally florence.  I've got one with six separate lines out to calipers and it does that system with ease.

The pipe was £2 at local auto factors.  Sounds more complicated to describe it than it is in reality,  just a length of pipe with a bolt stuck in the end and a small incision to make it a one way valve.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal