Author Topic: Z1 as a project?  (Read 26009 times)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Z1 as a project?
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2020, 05:45:51 PM »
You mentioned the glass fibre sleeving looked too white.  I'm inclined to think that it goes yellow with age, so in 10 years time, it won't be as new looking.
Something to look forward to.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2020, 09:00:10 PM »
Tip for the future Dave is to coat the glass sleeve with silicone conformal coating (Ithink I sent you a bit). I usually dye the cable/sleeving with a Dylon dye pen and then coat with the silicone. When you cut that, after its been dried,  it doesn't fray. But what you have done looks fine. On Honda stators I bought some heat resistant binding 'string'  to attach the cable to the coils as that is what Hitachi did.
On Honda 3 phase stators the wires are all yellow and the rotor  field coil is white and green. I have a new set of Dye pens on my Christmas list.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 09:25:54 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2020, 09:11:08 PM »
Out of interest Dave (seeing a I was one of the members who cajoled you into doing a rebuild thread  ;D ) How does this forums replies to your posts on the rebuild compare with the Kawasaki Forum?
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2020, 10:16:19 AM »
I’m glad you’re not to appalled by my untidy efforts Ash, however once I’d soldered the joints I was committed to using the sleeving that was on, even as it frayed.

The Kawasaki forum posts don’t get as many responses, if I only posted there I might not bother to put as much time in hosting photos etc. There is a moderator who pops by with a ‘good job, keep it up’ post now and again if no one else bothers, to keep the ball rolling.

Like this forum for my Honda rebuilds, what is really worthwhile is seeking advice and sourcing parts from members. On  Sunday I realised I don’t have the outer worm part for the clutch actuator, and the only ones for sale were in the USA and very expensive. I posted a wanted request on the Z1 forum that night, Monday morning I found a response. Deal struck, Paypal money sent, the part was on my Kitchen worktop Tuesday morning.  :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 10:38:31 AM by MrDavo »
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2020, 08:35:47 PM »
I’m glad you’re not to appalled by my untidy efforts Ash, however once I’d soldered the joints I was committed to using the sleeving that was on, even as it frayed.

The Kawasaki forum posts don’t get as many responses, if I only posted there I might not bother to put as much time in hosting photos etc. There is a moderator who pops by with a ‘good job, keep it up’ post now and again if no one else bothers, to keep the ball rolling.

Like this forum for my Honda rebuilds, what is really worthwhile is seeking advice and sourcing parts from members. On  Sunday I realised I don’t have the outer worm part for the clutch actuator, and the only ones for sale were in the USA and very expensive. I posted a wanted request on the Z1 forum that night, Monday morning I found a response. Deal struck, Paypal money sent, the part was on my Kitchen worktop Tuesday morning.  :)

Sadly Dave the Zed forum has been struggling for a few years now with a lot of topics not getting responses, been following your build on both sites though, glad and surprised the actuator got there so quick, not much in the Zed parts bin left now.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2020, 04:07:36 PM »
Not much to report, as some kind of Winter festival seemed to get in the way. Due to Covid restrictions, the guy in France who has a correct front rim for me didn't come over to visit his parents in Chester, so we'll have to save that for later.

I did get the alternator coils installed into their cover, with some sealant where the wires leave the case, along with some of the oil in use, if you're not careful. I used a NOS set of screws, and a touch of Loctite.

I then put some oil on the starter idler gear spindle and fitted the cover. Also while I was in that area, I fitted the sprocket guard, I also fitted the clutch actuator to the transmission cover, but I'm waiting for the spring to arrive (the one at the end of the clutch cable, not the season) before I can fit the cover. In the meantime I need to do some connector changing on my generator subloom before I can fit that cover anyway.  The wire for the neutral switch has a loop (it needs a female bullet connector) and vice versa for the blue wire to the oil light - there is a female bullet, it needs a loop.

1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2021, 01:04:01 PM »
I've still not got the transmission cover properly on and set the clutch up, as I still have to make connectors for the pattern sub loom - the neutral switch wire has a loop and needs a female bullet connector, vice versa for the oil pressure switch. Or is it the other way round? Either way they are wrong and need changing.

Instead I fitted the seat properly - previously it has just been plonked there in approximately the right place. Now it is fitted to its pins, and the seat prop is fitted and working. At last I can see how it fits with the tank.

One issue I have is with the seat latch. The post fitted to the seat base is adjustable, but wherever I set it, the seat clicks shut OK, but you don't need to use the seat catch lever to open it again - a good tug and the seat pops open! Not how its meant to be and renders the seat and helmet locks useless. I'm going to take the post off the seat and watch closely as it latches - I'm not sure if my problem is the adjustment or the latch. There may even be a tad of adjustment for the whole mechanism, which bolts to the frame. The lever is replica, the catch plate is OEM - does this look right? Any advice or experience gratefully received.

1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2021, 04:46:10 PM »
I've been doing a bit of online shopping recently, and while the exhausts are in a container somewhere, I reckon I have nearly all the parts to finish, I just need the time to finish assembly and start snagging, checking out the electrics etc. No rush< I've nowhere to go and two other bikes to ride as well.

I had a go with the seat catch again after reading your comments, and yes, it came down to the alignment of the latch mechanism. I could see the lock plate was a little cockeyed, so I loosened the bolts and got it straight.

Success! The seat now latches when you close it very time, and it only opens with the seat lever in the right position. I adjusted the seat post so the seat sits on its rubbers against the frame, rather than having all the weight on the post. Perfect!

The latch still needs to come off again, as it won't lock! Looking with a torch the pin from the lock is fouling the striker plate, I wonder if the pin will rotate so it doesn't foul, I need it apart to see what's going on.
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2021, 01:05:28 PM »
I got the seat latch sorted in the end. First I took it off again to see if the locking pin rotated - it doesn't, being a non circular pin in a non circular hole. refitting and playing around with the positioning of the mechanism I found that there are locations where the seat doesn't latch but locks, locations where it locks but doesn't latch, and one sweet spot where it all works perfectly. It was worth taking the time to find this spot in the end.

I decided to wire up the oil pressure switch by making a short piece, using blue wire from my old lead, with a male bullet one end and a loop on the other. This worked well apart from accidental dropping the brass screw from the switch. Sod's law sent it to a tiny space behind the oil switch housing - being brass and non magnetic it suddenly became a huge time wasting problem to get it back. After poking around with fine screwdrivers and grease, then sleeping on the problem, I made a tool from lockwire to fish it out again. That's a few hours I'll never get back, but hey, all part of the challenge. I now need to take a loop from the end of the neutral switch lead and replace it with a female bullet to fit the later switch I've got fitted.

The main visible difference I made this week was to fit a PMC JIS pan head screw kit to the engine cases. Although actually better in every way, allen screws on old bikes just look so wrong to me when the intention is to make a bike at least look original without being too OCD. I noticed the allen screws on this engine the first time I saw an advert, at last I can look at the bike without it bugging me any more. So I don't have a nightmare in years to come with seized screws, like on my Harley, I squirted a load of WD40 into the plastic bag with the screws in before I started.

1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2021, 01:27:01 PM »
Very nice,  and funny that the screws were O-so-complained about when contemporary (I've never viewed them that way) but as you indicate,  such an integral part of that period in importance now.

I can't wait for the pipes,  surely one of THE most iconic exhaust ever made. 

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2021, 01:34:30 PM »
Very nice,  and funny that the screws were O-so-complained about when contemporary (I've never viewed them that way) but as you indicate,  such an integral part of that period in importance now.

I can't wait for the pipes,  surely one of THE most iconic exhaust ever made.
Purely as an aside.

Have a gander on YouTube for Allan Millyard converting his exhausts from 4 to 6 header pipes.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2021, 02:31:14 PM »
Back in the day I couldn't wait to get an allen screw set for my bikes, British or Japanese, this was mainly a reaction to having to use the old family Phillips screw driver to remove stuck screws with heads seemingly made of silver chocolate. To make matters worse, I'd never heard of JIS, and wasn't at all curious as to why there was a dot stamped on the screw heads.

Now I have the correct screwdrivers and more of a clue it isn't a problem. I must have stripped quite a few threads by over tightening allen screws. I think part of the design of JIS deliberately stops you over-tightening by making the driver 'cam out', I noticed this weekend that I wasn't allowed to tighten the screws up that much even if I wanted to. As these screws all went into the crankcases, buggering up a thread was the last thing I wanted to do.

I've watched a couple of videos on Allan Millyard's 6, it takes a certain type of commitment to set about modifying a set of Zed pipes, especially now I know what they cost. His 5 cylinder two strokes are equally mental (they were mental enough as mere triples). When my pipes come the bike should still be sat on a plastic crate, so I can't fit them yet, but I'll check them very carefully for damage or mistakes. I agree about the pipes as an icon, again at the time most riders couldn't wait to get a lighter four into one, like fitting pods you wonder how may of them ever got the carburation right again. There's something about the slightly oval exit end of Z1 pipes that always reminded me of special lady parts, but that's probably just me, best not go there.......
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2021, 03:15:43 PM »
Careful there, we'll have to get nurse to send over some bromide for Mrs Davo to dose your tea  :) especially added to the BSA observation too  ;D

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2021, 12:01:34 PM »
I blame John Brookes' book for this one. Before I got it, I was quite happy with my four blingy reflectors, which came free with my pattern shocks. Rather than having that boring black rubber surround, mine had nice shiny chrome rings. Having had John's book for a week, I now can't help but notice that as well as the surrounds being too blingy, they don't say 'Stanley', have any numbers, and the reflector direction is split 50/50 rather than in triangular sections like a 'radioactive' fan symbol. I used to have these fan symbols on large Hazmat stickers (blagged from a mate with a haulage company) on my garage doors. While they worked keeping tealeaves away, the stickers came off in the end because (a) the garage is next to a public footpath, and I was worried that one day I would find it surrounded by men in silver space suits, with Geiger counters, and (b) I flatpacked that old corrugated iron garage with an angle grinder, and left it out at the end of the drive for the pikeys (they did collect, while I was down the shops), so I could get a new concrete one built.

Anyway, with the pattern reflectors now shouting 'Knockoff!' at me every time I saw them, I ordered a genuine set from Z Power. Interestingly, one of the rears came in a Yamaha bag...

Much better! It's only a small detail I know, but if I can spot pattern parts on a bike with just one glance, then I can safely assume that the bike is full of them. It's not the same as crawling around checking the date codes, that's a whole different level of anal.

The other job was to fit the grab rail. This came with the bike, and is either new pattern or OEM and rechromed, its hard to know which, even with John's book. I had been worried about the fit, as there seemed to be quite a gap between the lugs for the bolts through the frame and the frame itself. However once the bolts and shock top nuts were done up it all fit perfectly.

I may pop the 10mm frame bolts back out one at a time, as they are stainless going into steel, and I'd like to use some lube.  ???
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2021, 07:02:58 PM »
On the subject of the reflectors, I seem to remember the UK models (my Z1B anyway), didn't have reflector on the rear shocks and the front had chrome inserts instead of the reflectors. Is my memory correct?
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal