SOHC.co.uk Forums > Other Bikes

Z1 as a project?

<< < (59/59)

MrDavo:
I ordered the Pingel from Suzuki Performance Spares this morning, who replied to my query last night in minutes. So no point trying to improve or fix the PMC one. It is brand new, so not worn or clogged, and no blockages where I can see them.

I just want my Zed to be right, and get on with enjoying it.

MrDavo:
The Pingel arrived and got fitted, the difference in output is like night and day, I won't be using the fuel tap as a main jet any more!

I was very concerned when the side panel didn't fit, the outlet blocks and handle were in the way. some trial and error found one (and only one) position where you can slot the panel in behind the tap and not foul it. Later I watched a Johnny's Vintage Motorcycles YouTube video that showed me just this trick! Here it is mounted with just a little black gaffa tape on the corner of the panel to protect the paint from accidents.

Saturday I went out and put some more miles on the bike, no dramas but I did get wet. Sunday I walked into the garage to be met with a smell of petrol!   >:(

It turns out that there are two types of PTFE tape in this world, and the white one I used, from the roll that has been in my toolbox forever, is what plumbers use to seal against water. That has turned to jelly, and I'm almost certain is the cause of my leak. I have just got back from Toolstation, where I bought a roll of the yellow version, which is for gas and is apparently fuel resistant.

MrDavo:
A quick update. the bike hasn't been anywhere for a few weeks, there is salt on the roads, and it's blocked in by my 911, which kas been having an alternator repair / fan refurb. This needs doing again as there is a spacer missing and the fan is binding. Not good in an air cooled car!

Back in September I took her down to the local BMPS annual show, a few years ago my CB750 won Best Japanese Bike there, the Kawasaki went one better and won 'Best in Show'!  :D I'm now retiring her from shows, while I have a 100% record - entered one, won one.

After my teething troubles got sorted, I did another 500 miles and she now runs perfectly. My only concern is that, being well fast despite her age, when I open her up and actually hit the throttle stops, things quickly get scary. maybe it's just me getting old, but maybe it's just because that's how Kawasakis are - my only ride on a 500 H1 two stroke triple nearly ended in disaster with the bike vertical when I hit the power band with W.O.T.

However the garage is now full, and there is no room for a 'next project', so something needs to go. The HD is kept for holiday use, the CL450 is my runaround and the one bike I may keep forever, so the Z1A may be the one that goes. Plus the funds will see right for the next project, I enjoy putting bikes back on the road again, more than I actually need another one. I'm not sure what comes next, only nothing I have to kickstart, I'm through doing that.

PM me if you are interested, however it will be suitably uncheap. However, if I still have her for the Crich show in the summer, I'll stick her in the Z1OC anniversary lineup.

royhall:
Well done on the win Dave. Justifies all the hours of work.

Spitfire:
Great result and looking at the bike and all the work involved , well deserved.

Cheers

Dennis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version