Author Topic: Z1 as a project?  (Read 25964 times)

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Z1 as a project?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 06:34:41 AM »
I guess it’s a choice for the forum “owner”

I have never considered paid membership and keep the place ad-free through members’ donations and a couple of sponsors.

The downside is that the same members pay  most of the time (and probably more than they would have to for an annual fee)

The upside is that search engines can read everything so new members find us more easily and that “lurkers” can read all they want without the faff of joining a forum. When they want to contribute or ask a question they join up and we welcome them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2020, 11:13:46 AM »
I guess it’s a choice for the forum “owner”

I have never considered paid membership and keep the place ad-free through members’ donations and a couple of sponsors.

The downside is that the same members pay  most of the time (and probably more than they would have to for an annual fee)

The upside is that search engines can read everything so new members find us more easily and that “lurkers” can read all they want without the faff of joining a forum. When they want to contribute or ask a question they join up and we welcome them.

And I thank you for all you do.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2020, 11:29:34 AM »
That's the last time I mention another forum on here, its all kicking off now. You can see a lot of it, but not all, for free, but I paid to join to get a discount at Z-Power. On a set of pipes that alone is well worth the admission fee.

For my front wheel I am today going to remove the tyre and rim, for rechroming, and see what I can do to tart up the hub. I've a spoke set on its way, I'll order new bearings too, I think.

This image is knicked from eBay, but as a restored US spec Z1A in green with double discs, its almost exactly what I'm going for. Its also £22k!  :o :o

1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2020, 12:04:42 PM »
Reading this it triggered a memory in my old brain, I used to be the secretary of a bike club and collected a lot of workshop manuals for club members use and one of them was for Z series Kawasaki's, so I have just been up into the loft and found it. You probably already have the same info but let me know if this is any use to you. The inside pages are as new it's only the cover that is a bit dirty, it is marked as "Revised 1: August 1st 1973"

Cheers

Dennis

1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2020, 01:31:44 PM »
Hell yes, my bike was only  three months old when they printed that. Send me a pm telling me what you want for it including postage, I’ll Paypal it and send you my address.

I have the parts book on a cd, but not the manual.

Brilliant, thanks Dennis
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Z1 as a project?
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2020, 01:56:32 PM »
I'm a bit gutted you're not sharing the build on here Dave, as I don't frequent the Z1 forum much any more. But, looks like a great start for a build and a lot of the hard work has been done.

Here's my MkII...

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2020, 03:36:35 PM »
Wow, lovely looking bike James, fantastic colour.
I remember those when they came out, very Z1R looking with the tank/tailpiece combo.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2020, 07:40:43 PM »
My Z900 A4 that I restored a few years ago.

I'll follow your re-build with interest on the 'Dark' side!

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2020, 07:52:32 PM »
As someone that avidly watched Allan Millyard turn a 4 into a 6 I noticed several major differences between the sohc and Z1 derivatives.

Check out his YouTube channel.

Very informative

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2020, 08:43:01 PM »
One feaured in this video along with many other Japanese bikes and well worth a watch. The proud  Z1 owner refers to it being codenamed  the 'New York Streak'  ha ha ! .... even Ashimoto who know absolutely nowt about them, knows it was in fact codenamed the 'New York Steak'.  A young looking John Wyatt appears on there too with his sandcast.

https://youtu.be/szWnwdjk16o
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
I'm a bit gutted you're not sharing the build on here Dave, as I don't frequent the Z1 forum much any more. But, looks like a great start for a build and a lot of the hard work has been done.

Here's my MkII...

Remember them in the day complete with Harris 4/1, Metamex swinging arm, cut down mudguard and tiny number plate. Rider usually in white baseball boots.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2020, 08:21:41 AM »
I’m glad you didn’t decide to snap it up Roy, I’d have had to watch you build it through my fingers thinking ‘that’s what you could have had!’.

I’ve printed out the relevant pages of the parts book, so I can get a handle on what parts I need to find. The good news is the very high standards to which the parts I have got were restored to, clearly someone set out to build a keeper.

It’s too much of a stretch to do a build thread here, it not only has two cams but also the K word on the tank. If you can bear to visit the dark side, I’m doing a build thread on the Z1 Owners forum which I have joined. It’s surprising how many names on there I know from here! Already they have saved me from an expensive mistake where I was going to follow the previous owners idea of building the Z1 hub into a wheel using a genuine Z900 A4 rim - you could but as the spokeangles are quite different due to a smaller hub, it wouldn’t end well. The A4 front wheel is now for sale, if anyone needs one.
Cant say I agree with it being a stretch to do a thread on here as loads of members are interested in Zeds as well as many other bikes. You would however probably be able to access more specific help on the Dark Side. Hope you will update us occasionally with how its going though Dave with a few photo's. I joined the Z1 forum yesterday to watch the build but it would appear that registering is not enough, you also have to pay. Until I actually own a Z1 it's probably not worth it.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2020, 08:28:45 AM »

Cant say I agree with it being a stretch to do a thread on here as loads of members are interested in Zeds as well as many other bikes. You would however probably be able to access more specific help on the Dark Side. Hope you will update us occasionally with how its going though Dave with a few photo's. I joined the Z1 forum yesterday to watch the build but it would appear that registering is not enough, you also have to pay. Until I actually own a Z1 it's probably not worth it.

+1 on that Roy... maybe some nice pics at critical milestones in the build would suffice... c'mon Dave you know we all want to see your progress ... you made such a good job on the restoration you did on the CL450.  ;D ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2020, 09:01:00 AM »
If your photos are externally hosted, you can probably copy/paste a post from there to here.

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2020, 10:05:43 AM »
Ok you win, I’ll do both forums. I hadn’t realised that the Projects section wasn’t available to all.
I can’t post photos from my phone, though, so I’ll do that Monday when I’m meant to be working.

Yesterday it was too hot to work, so I went outside and took the tyre off the front wheel. I’m getting the rim rechromed, so I attacked the spokes with the angle grinder, then degreased the hub and speedo drive (I’ve two of those, one was immaculate and seized, the other filthy, full of grease and working just fine), and repainted with Simonize Satin Black.

The back mudguard isn’t perfect, the chrome is a little worn, but very original with the plastic sleeves over the cable holders. I’ve decided to use it as is, so spent some time polishing. It’s the US short version, I don’t really like the long UK ones.

Today I’m going to try and get a handle on what I’ve not got. Fasteners are thin on the ground, I have loads of generic ones I took of the CB750 somewhere, with alphabet soup on the heads, but I didn’t use them for a reason.
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal