Author Topic: Z1 as a project?  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
I'm a bit gutted you're not sharing the build on here Dave, as I don't frequent the Z1 forum much any more. But, looks like a great start for a build and a lot of the hard work has been done.

Here's my MkII...

Remember them in the day complete with Harris 4/1, Metamex swinging arm, cut down mudguard and tiny number plate. Rider usually in white baseball boots.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline royhall

• SOHC Master
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Z1 as a project?
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2020, 08:21:41 AM »
I’m glad you didn’t decide to snap it up Roy, I’d have had to watch you build it through my fingers thinking ‘that’s what you could have had!’.

I’ve printed out the relevant pages of the parts book, so I can get a handle on what parts I need to find. The good news is the very high standards to which the parts I have got were restored to, clearly someone set out to build a keeper.

It’s too much of a stretch to do a build thread here, it not only has two cams but also the K word on the tank. If you can bear to visit the dark side, I’m doing a build thread on the Z1 Owners forum which I have joined. It’s surprising how many names on there I know from here! Already they have saved me from an expensive mistake where I was going to follow the previous owners idea of building the Z1 hub into a wheel using a genuine Z900 A4 rim - you could but as the spokeangles are quite different due to a smaller hub, it wouldn’t end well. The A4 front wheel is now for sale, if anyone needs one.
Cant say I agree with it being a stretch to do a thread on here as loads of members are interested in Zeds as well as many other bikes. You would however probably be able to access more specific help on the Dark Side. Hope you will update us occasionally with how its going though Dave with a few photo's. I joined the Z1 forum yesterday to watch the build but it would appear that registering is not enough, you also have to pay. Until I actually own a Z1 it's probably not worth it.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
CB1300SA in Black
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
CB450K0 Black Bomber (current project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• SOHC Jedi
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2020, 08:28:45 AM »

Cant say I agree with it being a stretch to do a thread on here as loads of members are interested in Zeds as well as many other bikes. You would however probably be able to access more specific help on the Dark Side. Hope you will update us occasionally with how its going though Dave with a few photo's. I joined the Z1 forum yesterday to watch the build but it would appear that registering is not enough, you also have to pay. Until I actually own a Z1 it's probably not worth it.

+1 on that Roy... maybe some nice pics at critical milestones in the build would suffice... c'mon Dave you know we all want to see your progress ... you made such a good job on the restoration you did on the CL450.  ;D ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2020, 09:01:00 AM »
If your photos are externally hosted, you can probably copy/paste a post from there to here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Tiger 900 GT Pro
1971 CB500K0
2003 Speed Triple 955 (borrowed)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2020, 10:05:43 AM »
Ok you win, I’ll do both forums. I hadn’t realised that the Projects section wasn’t available to all.
I can’t post photos from my phone, though, so I’ll do that Monday when I’m meant to be working.

Yesterday it was too hot to work, so I went outside and took the tyre off the front wheel. I’m getting the rim rechromed, so I attacked the spokes with the angle grinder, then degreased the hub and speedo drive (I’ve two of those, one was immaculate and seized, the other filthy, full of grease and working just fine), and repainted with Simonize Satin Black.

The back mudguard isn’t perfect, the chrome is a little worn, but very original with the plastic sleeves over the cable holders. I’ve decided to use it as is, so spent some time polishing. It’s the US short version, I don’t really like the long UK ones.

Today I’m going to try and get a handle on what I’ve not got. Fasteners are thin on the ground, I have loads of generic ones I took of the CB750 somewhere, with alphabet soup on the heads, but I didn’t use them for a reason.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A (Project)
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2020, 10:08:56 AM »
I forgot to add, the hub has previously been used single disk, so the threads are perfect one side, bolloxed on the other side. I need to get those helicoiled, as not having the disc fall off is a bit of a health and safety issue.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2020, 10:48:59 AM »
I think I would use something better than Helicoils on a safety item such as that. Last one I did my local engineering shop machined the threads out then made and fitted brass inserts that were then drilled and tapped. Or maybe use something like Wurth Timeserts that are expensive but way better than helicoils, something like these (example) https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1158018297?iid=381057506601. There are other cheaper versions of these but for the life of me I cannot remember what they are called.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
CB1300SA in Black
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2020, 11:18:13 AM »
Timeserts seem the way to go, and it will be much easier while the hub is separate from the wheel.

Anyone know where I can get them done around Manchester, or by post?

However, I was just thinking this through, while I was making a brew. The force on a disc bolt is in shear, rather than tension, so if helicoiled it is extremely unlikely the bolts will ever pull out. Plus once tightened up they probably won’t be disturbed again for a long time. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:46:50 AM by MrDavo »

Offline royhall

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2020, 12:01:29 PM »
On wheel centre I would agree, but the disk and caliper is offset to the side of the tyre contact patch so there is a degree of sideways force. Pulling up a 600lb bike in an emergency generates considerable force so I personally wouldn't risk Helicoils when a much better solution is available. Whilst it's apart you may as well do the best job possible. I wish I could remember the name of the cheaper Timesheets, will go online later and have a look. That said fitting Timesheets would only be viable if there's plenty of meat around the holes.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
CB1300SA in Black
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2020, 12:07:50 PM »
My spellcheck wanted to call them timesheets too!

There’s plenty of meat anyway as the holes are drilled into the alloy hub.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2020, 12:13:49 PM »
Phone's ehh, cause more spelling errors than I do. Makes you wonder how useless you need to be for predictive text to be of any use.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
CB1300SA in Black
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Bryanj

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2020, 02:32:48 PM »
Keenserts

Offline royhall

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2020, 02:59:35 PM »
They are the very fellows. Cheers Bryan that would have kept me awake.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
CB1300SA in Black
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2020, 04:28:39 PM »
Ok you win, I’ll do both forums. I hadn’t realised that the Projects section wasn’t available to all.
I can’t post photos from my phone, though, so I’ll do that Monday when I’m meant to be working.

Yesterday it was too hot to work, so I went outside and took the tyre off the front wheel. I’m getting the rim rechromed, so I attacked the spokes with the angle grinder, then degreased the hub and speedo drive (I’ve two of those, one was immaculate and seized, the other filthy, full of grease and working just fine), and repainted with Simonize Satin Black.

The back mudguard isn’t perfect, the chrome is a little worn, but very original with the plastic sleeves over the cable holders. I’ve decided to use it as is, so spent some time polishing. It’s the US short version, I don’t really like the long UK ones.

Today I’m going to try and get a handle on what I’ve not got. Fasteners are thin on the ground, I have loads of generic ones I took of the CB750 somewhere, with alphabet soup on the heads, but I didn’t use them for a reason.

Good to see you're doing a rebuild thread on here too, who knows it may even sway some towards a liking for Zeds?  ;D

The short rear mudguard is the correct one for your Z1A - the long rear is the UK spec and is a rare thing, as are the indicator ears on the grab rail.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 01:22:05 PM by Andrew-S »
Bikes: 1970 US CB750 K1 and a UK 1976 Z900 A4
Cars:  1958 Triumph TR3A and a 1972 TR6

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2020, 03:58:47 PM »
As it was sunny on Friday I ignored working from home, and made a start. First job was whip the tyre off, if anyone wants a second hand 19" Avon AM20 let me know, I'll be using new tyres, possibly Conti Twins, but that's a long way off.

Next tog up to use the anglegrinder. Old ski goggles, CCR hat and headphones. Apparently, this self photography malarkey is a thing these days.

And liberate the hub from the wheel. The tyre underneath is a Dunlop KR76 racing triangular, kept as a souvenir, as fitted to my first classic racer. The brutal profile alarms me to look at it now, no namby pamby 'I'll just lean it over a little' with those, it was bolt upright on a knife edge or all the way over with sparks coming from the exhaust grounding, no in between.  :shock:

Finally I masked the hub to give it some satin black. Who knew you could bend masking tape? Its a roll of genuine Duck brand tape, but it bent better than I expected, saving a lot of time. There were two speedo drives, a pristine one that was seized, and a tatty one full of grease that was just fine.

Painting the hub was premature, as I then realised that the threads in the bolt holes for the l/h disc were mostly bolloxed. while the hub is separate seems the best time to get this sorted out. The other side the holes are pristine, because the bike has previously been single disc, I've two sets of calipers and discs so I'm going double, because slowing down can be a good thing sometimes. No master cylinder so I can make sure I get the right one for this. Ive two of the chrome wheel trims spare if anyone needs one.

I've had a quote from an auto engineering firm in Inverness to fit six Wurth Timeserts for £150 plus VAT, I intend to get the best job possible as brakes that come loose are not an option. That does seem a lot though, so I'll keep looking around. Is there anything I need to know about the pitch of the threads, or are they just standard Metric?

Last night I printed out the frame pages from the parts list, and ordered all the parts I need to fasten the engine in the frame. However I'm stuck for one of the engine plates, I think its the lower one. The one I have I think is the front, slightly larger with more socially distanced holes, can anyone confirm this from the photo below? If anyone has the plate I need, get in touch, as the only one I've found so far is in Ohio, and its a 3 week wait to get it, longer if ParcelFarce play silly beggars with the VAT + collection fee etc. Z-Power only do sets, and won't break them.

Finally, this picture is shamelessly half inched from an Ebay ad, but as its the same year, model, specification, colour, and has double discs, is exactly what I'm going for. I may print a copy and stick it on the garage wall for inspiration.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:04:34 PM by MrDavo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal