Author Topic: Z1 as a project?  (Read 25970 times)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Z1 as a project?
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2021, 01:34:30 PM »
Very nice,  and funny that the screws were O-so-complained about when contemporary (I've never viewed them that way) but as you indicate,  such an integral part of that period in importance now.

I can't wait for the pipes,  surely one of THE most iconic exhaust ever made.
Purely as an aside.

Have a gander on YouTube for Allan Millyard converting his exhausts from 4 to 6 header pipes.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2021, 02:31:14 PM »
Back in the day I couldn't wait to get an allen screw set for my bikes, British or Japanese, this was mainly a reaction to having to use the old family Phillips screw driver to remove stuck screws with heads seemingly made of silver chocolate. To make matters worse, I'd never heard of JIS, and wasn't at all curious as to why there was a dot stamped on the screw heads.

Now I have the correct screwdrivers and more of a clue it isn't a problem. I must have stripped quite a few threads by over tightening allen screws. I think part of the design of JIS deliberately stops you over-tightening by making the driver 'cam out', I noticed this weekend that I wasn't allowed to tighten the screws up that much even if I wanted to. As these screws all went into the crankcases, buggering up a thread was the last thing I wanted to do.

I've watched a couple of videos on Allan Millyard's 6, it takes a certain type of commitment to set about modifying a set of Zed pipes, especially now I know what they cost. His 5 cylinder two strokes are equally mental (they were mental enough as mere triples). When my pipes come the bike should still be sat on a plastic crate, so I can't fit them yet, but I'll check them very carefully for damage or mistakes. I agree about the pipes as an icon, again at the time most riders couldn't wait to get a lighter four into one, like fitting pods you wonder how may of them ever got the carburation right again. There's something about the slightly oval exit end of Z1 pipes that always reminded me of special lady parts, but that's probably just me, best not go there.......
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2021, 03:15:43 PM »
Careful there, we'll have to get nurse to send over some bromide for Mrs Davo to dose your tea  :) especially added to the BSA observation too  ;D

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2021, 12:01:34 PM »
I blame John Brookes' book for this one. Before I got it, I was quite happy with my four blingy reflectors, which came free with my pattern shocks. Rather than having that boring black rubber surround, mine had nice shiny chrome rings. Having had John's book for a week, I now can't help but notice that as well as the surrounds being too blingy, they don't say 'Stanley', have any numbers, and the reflector direction is split 50/50 rather than in triangular sections like a 'radioactive' fan symbol. I used to have these fan symbols on large Hazmat stickers (blagged from a mate with a haulage company) on my garage doors. While they worked keeping tealeaves away, the stickers came off in the end because (a) the garage is next to a public footpath, and I was worried that one day I would find it surrounded by men in silver space suits, with Geiger counters, and (b) I flatpacked that old corrugated iron garage with an angle grinder, and left it out at the end of the drive for the pikeys (they did collect, while I was down the shops), so I could get a new concrete one built.

Anyway, with the pattern reflectors now shouting 'Knockoff!' at me every time I saw them, I ordered a genuine set from Z Power. Interestingly, one of the rears came in a Yamaha bag...

Much better! It's only a small detail I know, but if I can spot pattern parts on a bike with just one glance, then I can safely assume that the bike is full of them. It's not the same as crawling around checking the date codes, that's a whole different level of anal.

The other job was to fit the grab rail. This came with the bike, and is either new pattern or OEM and rechromed, its hard to know which, even with John's book. I had been worried about the fit, as there seemed to be quite a gap between the lugs for the bolts through the frame and the frame itself. However once the bolts and shock top nuts were done up it all fit perfectly.

I may pop the 10mm frame bolts back out one at a time, as they are stainless going into steel, and I'd like to use some lube.  ???
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2021, 07:02:58 PM »
On the subject of the reflectors, I seem to remember the UK models (my Z1B anyway), didn't have reflector on the rear shocks and the front had chrome inserts instead of the reflectors. Is my memory correct?
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2021, 10:33:07 PM »
On the subject of the reflectors, I seem to remember the UK models (my Z1B anyway), didn't have reflector on the rear shocks and the front had chrome inserts instead of the reflectors. Is my memory correct?

Yes Phil, the US spec bikes had front a rear red reflectors - here's the UK Z1B:

1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2021, 10:50:43 PM »
Thats the brochure that tempted me into buying the same colour bike - wasn't many dealers for Kawasaki then and I travelled to Onger Motorcycles in Essex (from where I was working in Swindon) to find one.
I remember the feeling riding that bike back from the dealers to Swindon - super smooth, super fast and never experienced so much attention from car drivers - wish I had it now.
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2021, 11:05:40 PM »
Your right on the reflectors. Mine is a US model, the main differences are orange front fork reflector, red on rear shock - UK bike has a chrome disc on the forks, nothing on the rear, no strap on the US seat (I have a surplus one for sale) and the short mudguard for the US. For our UK climate, being twinned with Atlantis, we get the long mudguard which I’m not that keen on.

There’s also some more shenanigans with lights (i.e. dip direction, deflection adjustment ) and  reflectors. I’m sure there’s more if you dig in John Brookes’ book.
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2021, 03:11:20 PM »
A step backwards before I can go forwards. The frayed sleeving around the alternator cable had been bothering me, what if the sleeve continues to fray and glass fibre strands get in my oil?  Not worth the risk, really, and Ash had sent me some brush on setting sealing compound for sealing in the colour if I'd done the sleeves yellow. When I mentioned the fraying he told me this would have stopped it if I'd put it on before I cut the sleeves. I popped the cover back off and painted the sealant onto the sleeve, 24 hours later it had gone off nice and stiff, so no more fraying.

Now that's sorted I put the cover back on and concentrated on its neighbour, the transmission cover. Here i am ready to fit it, neutral and oil light connected, loom in its guide with the starter cable, and new clutch pushrod in place.

All fitted, with the clutch end play adjusted and the footrest fitted. The footrest was a ball ache, the pin didn't quite line up with the holes, I ground a tad off the inside end of the peg to make it line up, without thinking of the consequences, which was a droopy footrest! A penny washer got araldited where you can't see it, but with no more unsightly droopage. Also I replaced the side stand spring, which was a chunky replica, with the real Mcoy, much neater looking. Gear lever is a replica, before I tighten it up I want to dig out a suitable hex head screw rather than the allen screw supplied. What is an upset screw? Has someone been nasty to it? I think it means a flanged head but I'm not certain.

If you recall I started at the front and am working my way back, mainly beacuse its more logical than a scattergun approach, plus  garage space is limited and there'll be a lot less of it once the back wheel goes in. Finally, with the clutch cable on, lubed and adjusted I declare the front end finished. Once I've done little bits like fuel pipes I'll be done all the way back to the swinging arm spindle, bar the exhausts, which are still on their way.

Here's a pilots eye view of the finished front end, well it would be the view if you were about to crash into my garage wall.....

1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 22, 2021, 05:42:10 PM »
Looks great Dave - bet you can't wait for your first ride!
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2021, 07:53:24 PM »
Credit to you Dave, that's a top job and expensive, my Zed is far from stock and i dread to think what it would cost to get it that way.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2021, 04:40:06 PM »
Speaking of expense, here's £1,500 worth....

A very nice DPD man called Johnathan turned up this morning, with a big box:

It was full of shiny wonderfulness:

They must have to wear gloves when they make and pack the pipes, as even with clean hands, anywhere you touch them stands out as a greasy handprint. There was an interesting label about how new pipes have been treated with 2 stroke oil, which will burn off with use.

There was some fitting hardware too, but no copper rings or collets, but that's hardly a deal breaker.  I'm glad I got an original pair of the big mounting bolts, as these pipes come with big allen bolts, which will just look wrong.

Quality wise they seem very good, a couple of tiny imperfections but not where you'd notice, and not worth sending them back - at best you'd get a refund while there is no supply, and you'd still need a set of pipes!

The pipes are all bagged and boxed again, and stashed in my attic, as while the bike is on a crate and hasn't got a back wheel fitted I can't mount the pipes. I am rather keen to see them in place though.
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2021, 04:48:19 PM »
Didn't know that DELKEVIC made replica pipes - I replaced the radiator on my ZZR1100 when I built it 11 years ago and that was DELKEVIC. Are they UK made?
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2021, 04:53:59 PM »
I think they are made in China for Delkevic, but only in small batches. They are currently listed as out of stock, when I bought mine they had six sets in a container on a slow boat somewhere, and two sets were already spoken for.
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2021, 05:09:29 PM »
They look fantastic Dave and well worth the money.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal