Author Topic: Rocker shaft removal CB550  (Read 678 times)

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rocker shaft removal CB550
« on: October 02, 2020, 12:22:02 PM »
Can anyone advise on how to remove the rocker arms on a newer style 4 shaft cover?

I've read that there are 'pins' holding the shafts in. Are these the 4 bolts under the breather cover? They seem really tight in there. I've tried a hammer and brass drift but don't want to too mad! do they need to be pressed out?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 02:38:36 PM by eight0 »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Rocker shaft removal CB550
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 01:02:53 PM »
Can anyone advise on how to remove the rocker arms on a newer style 4 shaft head?

I've read that there are 'pins' holding the shafts in. Are these the 4 bolts under the breather cover? They seem really tight in there. I've tried a hammer and brass drift but don't want to too mad! do they need to be pressed out?

If you have keeper they go in from the bottom with a nut on the top. To remove keepers you have to lock the shaft with a bolt in the end. Turn the shaft to release the pressure off the keeper and put the nut on while you tap it to release it  ;)

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 02:33:26 PM »
Struggling with this, I've tried what you have suggested but I can't get the keepers out. How hard do you have to tap them? I'm scared I'm going to break the thing.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 07:29:03 PM »
Have you locked the shaft with a bolt with a nut on it and tried to turn it both ways ?
If no pressure on the keeper it should just tap out. If still tight try a little heat and give it a tap but have the nut on the tread.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 11:32:54 PM »
I used a G clamp arrangement.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal